Chapter 33 - Game Plan

Tension clouded the air as the Avengers clambered into the van, the unknowns of the impending mission heavy as fog. Fitting seven people along with a billionaire's favourite gadgets in one average-looking van was never going to be comfortable, but never before had Bucky envied Bruce's ability to perform his role from the comfort of Stark Tower. Whilst Bruce had the luxury of overseeing their progress, monitoring security feeds and communication, the rest of the team would enter as part of a retinue a foreign country; they hadn't asked which one, and Fury hadn't told them. The large black van would deliver them to the underground of the building where the Global Peace Conference was being held, where they would wait until the coast was clear before commencing with the plan.

Bucky had not been super involved in the planning itself, as the basis of the plan had been decided after he had stormed off at the end of Fury's talk, but he knew how it ended: with her. One way or another, the mission came down to finding, identifying, and stopping her. Bucky forced his mind back to the task at hand, rending apart the images of a certain woman trying to muddle his thoughts. Seeing the look Steve was giving him, Bucky threw his friend a smile – one he knew wasn't entirely convincing – and a nod to begin his official recap of the plan they had spent the last week preparing or, as Clint had called it, the game plan. "Remember, our main objective is to isolate the Wraith before we fight her. Hydra may not care about civilian casualties, but we do." Bucky ignored the voice whispering Hydra had the more practical ideals. "Seeing as this conference is crucial to maintaining international relations, and S.H.I.E.L.D has executed operations in many of the participating countries, Hydra will likely target those whose deaths would cause the most damage."

Through his earpiece, Bruce rattled off their list of potential victims, with brief descriptions of their looks and where they would be seated. This was, of course, information they had all already committed to memory.

Steve continued, "Nat will be covering as a conference staff member and will be located there." He gave a nod to the red dot on the hologram of the building's floorplan projecting from one of Tony's devices. "Tony will be there as-"

"My amazing self."

"Right. Wanda and I will be accompanying him as-"

"My adoring fans."

"As journalists." Steve enunciated. He and Wanda were already in costume, sporting the Avengers trademark civilian outfit of a cap and sunglasses. Steve also had on a pair of high-tech glasses disguised as normal Oscar Wylee pair to display any information or footage he needed. They all wore variations, except for Sam whose suit's technology would suffice. "Clint will be, um, are you sure?" He broke off, shooting Clint a questioning glance.

"Yes, Steve."

"Alright, Clint will be conducting surveillance from the vents. And Bucky will..." He paused again. It was only for a second, but in that time, Steve sent Bucky an apologetic glance. "Maintain the perimeter with Sam." That was new information. Bucky had been told he'd be covering as part of the peace conference's security team. Before he could complain, Steve was barrelling on. "Yeah, about that, we thought that, maybe, considering circumstances-"

"We didn't want to risk your emotional connection to the target jeopardising the mission," Natasha interrupted the rambling Steve.

"I don't have an emotional connection." Bucky did not appreciate the looks he was receiving around the van.

"Fine, past interactions." She lifted a sculpted red eyebrow, daring him to argue.

Seeing no way to contend with the entirely valid point, Bucky took the only appropriate course of action and glared at Sam, who responded with a grumbled, "Don't look at me, I didn't ask to be on babysitting duty."