Chapter Twenty-Two: Hippocampi Help

Irene woke up on top of a hammock

It strangely felt calm and good. The hammock was swinging gently, like you would a baby's cradle. The wind was blowing and the peaceful atmosphere made Irene suspicious.

She could smell smoke.

She sat up immediately. When she did, she only saw Aphrodite complaining about fish for breakfast and Taeyeon looking at her with bull-inflamed eyes.

Irene rolled her eyes; they really had to break her harmonious beauty sleep, did they?

She groggily trudged towards Aphrodite and Taeyeon. Her tired eyes caught sight of a fish being grilled over a hot fire and Taeyeon with dirty blonde hair.

She looked at her mother Aphrodite. She truly was beautiful; her face had no blemishes despite her eternal life and she was too pretty to explain. Her hair was thick and dark, and her skin was smooth and almost hairless. She was everything a guy could want.

Well, it was Aphrodite.

Could this be the mother who never wanted her and instead threw her to some random mortal woman? People would never think someone so perfect-looking would do that.

Still, Aphrodite was only perfect in appearance and not the soul, despite her being the goddess of beauty and love.

"Good morning, Joohyun," Taeyeon said, forcing a smile on her face. It was no doubt she had been extremely annoyed with Aphrodite and would love to shove the stick being used to hold the fish up her nose.

Irene chuckled. "Good morning."

She sat down before the fire. Just to make sure she had actually saved Aphrodite, she touched a flame. A red burn coated her finger.

"What happened after I...." she asked.

"Committed arson?" Taeyeon finished for her.

"Yeah. About that."

"Well, you were drowning obviously, but you seemed too tired. Aphrodite here was wailing. I got you both and tried to get the water out of your lungs."

"True!" Aphrodite piped up. She was very grumpy today. "What a foolish child you are, Chuyin!"

"It's Joohyun," corrected Irene, but she ignored what Aphrodite had said after that. She placed her head in her hands and huffed.

"Also, Irene, there's somethin' you should know...."

Irene looked up quickly. Taeyeon seemed troubled, and she quirked her eyebrows suspiciously.

"It's about your prophecy."

****

Irene sat down beside Taeyeon. Taeyeon looked nervous, but Irene wanted to be selfish; she had so many questions, but she did have only one for the prophecy.