Chapter 21

"I know where she is"

Jay says with a new look of zeal and determination in his eyes that I hadn't seen in weeks. I wasn't even done with my sentence.

"Jay?"

"Hmm" he says distractedly, with his eyes fixed upon the road.

"I wasn't done... I was saying that or we can just rest for the night in our car and tomorrow we continue"

"No!", Jay screeches like I just said the worst thing ever.

"Well why? We just had a ten hour, twenty three minutes drive from Rome and you're saying No? Look at you all tired and hungry." I yell lightly, trying not to make my anger get the best of me.

Jay suddenly steps on the brake bringing the car to a complete halt and jerking me forward with an unusual grace I don't possess.

"You either shut the fuck up or I shut it up for you Jem. You're talking like you just joined the business yesterday. Have you no idea that a second of our time wasted could put our lives and the lives of other civilians in danger? I should have known better than to take you along with me"

Jay says spitefully in a disgusting manner as he pays attention to the road and fires the car's engine back to life. He begins to drive in silence, having no idea the effect of his words on me.

As usual, I bottle up my anger and begin to hum

"You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey, you never know dear, how much I love you, please don't take my sunshine away"

After humming that song, I begin to feel relaxed and I had almost forgotten what Jay had said. I just plastered a smile on my face like everything's okay.

"Where is she Jay?", I ask as calmly as possible. Probably way too calm.

"She's at home", Jay says as if that's going to clear things up.

"Okay, but didn't Godfather say something about searching her apartment?"

"Jem? She is not in her apartment. She's in her family house. Yes Godfather has already sent some mafias there to check for her and didnt find her but my gut is telling me otherwise. Do me a favour and call Alan. Ask him if He can still track down Selena"

Without hesitation, I call Alan and put it on loudspeaker.

Me: Hey Al! Could you do me a favor and check if Selena is still in North Dakota?

Alan: Sure she is. I've been monitoring her for some time now and she's still there. In fact, I don't think she ever left the state!

Jay: OK thanks Alan.

Alan: Oh hey Jay. How you doing?

Jay: Pretty much good. How's Jon?

Alan: He's fine.

Me: Can I talk to him. I haven't spoken to him since my incident with Dennis.

Alan: Sorry baby bear but he's asleep. Gotta go now. Bye!

Me: Whatever!

Why doesn't he give Jon the phone? Is he always asleep each time I call? Why does Alan pick up Jon's phone when I call? Something's not right but for now, let's focus on Selena.