preface

YEAR 1

Butterflies were an understatement in Florence Hawthorn's eyes, if she thought about the fact that she would be attending a wizarding school in a mere few hours.
And not just any wizarding school, the legendary Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

This was all she could look forward to for all of her years since she had learnt about magic from her Mother.

You see, Florence is what they call a half breed.
Part witch, part human; and although there is nothing wrong with that, some pure blood families believe that to be one of the most disgusting type of people in the wizarding world.
Quite the over exaggeration.
But in Florence's eyes she was just pleased to be part witch at all.
Her Father never knew about magic until he met her mother and once that happened, there was nothing that could surprise him in the world.

But all that was all until Florence's Mother passed away. It was a rather stupid accident, they were all simply on a car trip to the countryside for Florence's seventh birthday when their car was struck by an oblivious truck, not paying attention at all.
And in a mere matter of seconds, Florence lost the one thing she had in her life connecting her to the world of magic.

When the ginger girl got her letter from the oh so lovely Professor Mcgonagall, there was a separate letter attached asking whether the poor lass would like a guide to help her collect her things for hogwarts from diagon alley; which her and her Father gladly accepted as her Father had no idea what to do.
And that is how herself and Professor Mcgonagall became quite close, the older lady taking the youngling under her wing.
They were inseparable for around a month whenever Florence needed anything for school or even just to talk to someone who wasn't her Father, Mcgonagall came.

The smooth and calming train ride to Hogwarts was quite the opposite from the busy and busting station of Platform of 9 and 3/4.
Families were crying and hugging and wishing their children farewell as they departed and Florence wished she had that experience.

Well, she almost did; amongst
the mess a red-haired mother grabbed Florence's coat in a panic yelling about leaving her side before she apologised profusely to the shocked girl saying she had though Florence was one of her children trying to wander off.
How ridiculous; just because they were all red heads.

And although she had a rather strange encounter, that was more eventful than sitting silently in a large carriage in silence by her lonesome.
Not feeling very bothered to make any new friends.

The castle appeared over the hills in all its majestic gloriousness, and all of the students piled off the warm carriages into the brittle, crisp air; first years heading off last to the the great hall for the Sorting Ceremony.

The chatter and excitement amongst the crowd was loud, and the excitement bubbling inside of Florence was astronomical.
The crowd slowly shuffled towards the entrance, everyone giggling and shoving as the large doors opened.
Before them all was a gigantic hall, four long tables and bench seats that seemed to stretch on forever the only furniture within the room.
At the front stood a raised stone platform, a long table with numerous people standing upon it, watching all of the new students.

A tall man with a long white beard and hair stood at the edge. He wore grey robes and a hat, all adorned with glasses and a soft smile looking safe and homely.
Florence gawked at the room as she walked towards to front stage, her gaze captured by the stunning floating candles above all their heads, oblivious to the stares from all the students whom were seated in their respective houses already.

As the group slowed and reached the front of the room, all eyes went to the wrinkled, worn hat that sat atop a simple wooden stool just before the stage edge, and then to Professor Mcgonagall as she spun around and opened her mouth to speak.

"Before we commence, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words" She softly said. Everyone's eyes flicking between everyone sitting at the head table trying to decipher who exactly was 'dumbledore' before locking into the bearded man, whom stepped even more forward.

"Thank you, I have a few start of term notices I would like to announce. First years please note, the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students" Florence's eyes widened upon hearing the dark forest, sure she'd never heard of this one before but there were others that she'd read about all across the world and although deathly dangerous they were oh so interesting and beautiful.

"Also Mr Filch, our caretaker would like me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is off limits to those who wish to not die a most painful death."
'Bloody hell' Florence had thought as she heard that statement, her jaw gaping open as other students looked down in a sorrowful yet calm manor.
'Is that normal or something'

Breaking the silence, Professor Mcgonagall stated with a tight lipped smile, "When I call your name, step forward and the hat will sort you into your houses".

Florence's heart pounded as she locked eyes with the Professor, both giving each other a small yet meaningful smile.
The young girl hoped to be in the house that was Hufflepuff as it was her Mother's house but she was open to suggestions.

Getting out of her thoughts the girl payed attention to her fellow year group being sorted;

Gryffindor,
Slytherin,
Slytherin,
Hufflepuff,
Ravenclaw,
Gryffindor,
Hufflepuff,

"Fred Weasley" Mcgonagall said loudly, as she looked across the crowd for the student. And it wasn't long before a bright haired boy popped up to the chair and slapped onto it giving the year group a cheeky grin.

Florence scoffed in annoyance.
'How charming', she thought sarcastically, as she realised he was the one from before at the train station, the red haired lady was his mother.

"GRYFFINDOR!!" The sorting hat belted as a loud round of applause and cheers sounded from the audience, but mainly the Gryffindor table itself.

"Wicked!" He screeched, jumping straight up causing Mcgonagall to quickly scramble to grab the Sorting Hat off his head.

"What a bloody child" Florence sighed, as she rolled her eyes at the red haired boy who bounded towards the Gryffindor table.

"George Weasley"

An exact replica of Fred walked up the steps and plopped onto the chair causing the young girl to let out a surprised scoff.
'Great. Twins.'
George seemed more tame than his twin but still just as cheeky as he let out a little "woo" as he was sorted into Gryffindor , not really catching the girls attention as much as his brother.

Florence once again zoned out for a while, she wondered how her father may be doing or if she sent him an owl, would he write back; would he know how to write back?
It wasn't long until she heard her name being called, her nerves sending the poor girls cheeks red as she walked to the front.

Cautiously sitting on the chair she looked forward out into the hall, seeing the sea of students, the light weight of the Sorting Hat being placed on her head, it's mumbling being heard in her ears.

"Hmmm quite the creative one, you're brave and charming possibly Gryffindor or no- no you're smart and quite the individual. Wise old Ravenclaw may be the house for you, oh yes, yes you've read my mind. Where those of wit and learning will always find their kind. Better be..... RAVENCLAW!!"

The hall erupted in applause as a large grin appeared on the small girls face, Mcgonagall giving Florence's shoulder a squeeze as she walked down towards the end of the Ravenclaw table where other First Years sat.

________
a/n

Hello and welcome to Alexithymia.
Self isolation has been buggin me so I thought why not write a fred ff as I love him sm.
Hope you all enjoyed Flo's backstory.
And enjoy the book.
brie x