A new car and a new school

"Hi, I'm Isaak." he said, smiling at me. "Hey" I say, smiling back. "We, uh, we used to make mud pies when we were little." he says, laughing. I rememberus doing that and laugh. "Right. No, I remember." I say, we both lightly chuckle. "Are they always like this?" I ask, referring to our dads. Lou was trying to roll over Kurt's ankles with his wheelchair. "It's getting worse with old age." he says, smiling.

By this time, Kurt and Lou had stopped and came over to me and Isaak. "So, what do you think?" my father asks, putting a hand on the red truck. "Of what?" I ask. "Your homecoming present." he says, leaning back on the truck. "This?" I ask, in disbelief. "Just bought it off Lou here." he says, looking at Lou. "Yep," Lou says, touching the truck. "I totally rebuilt the engine for you." Isaak says, looking at me as I look at him. I was so happy! "Come on," I say, "Oh, my gosh! This is perfect, are you joking me?" I say, opening the car door, accidentally hitting Isaak as he walk passes to get to the passenger seat. "Sorry."I say, getting in.

"I told you she'd love it," I hear Lou say, "I'm down with the kids." "Oh yeah, dude. You're the bomb" Kurt says sarcastically.

"Okay," Isaak says, finally getting into the passenger's seat, "Um, listen, you gotta double-pump the clutch when you shift, but besides that, you should be good. "That's this on?" I ask, pointing at the clutch. "Yeah." he answers. "Alright." I say, as he sniffles because of the cold air. I turn the car keys and the engine powers up. "Do you want a ride to school or something?" I ask, looking at Isaak. He looks at me and says, "Oh, I go to school on the reservation." "Oh, right. Right," I say, as he nods, "That's too bad, it would've been nice to know one person."

I drive to school. I see the school sign. It says 'MILLWOOD HIGH SCHOOL, HOME OF THE MUSKRATS'. I pull over and see many people hanging out in the parking lot. My first day at a new school. It's March, middle of the semester. Great. I get out of the truck, throwing my backpack over my shoulder and putting my hands in the pockets of my coat. "Nice ride." a guy says. "Thanks." I say quietly. I hear a girl laughing while saying, "Good one." The guy looks at her and objects.

Walking into the school, I look at my lesson planner. A boy walks over to me and says, "You're Mackenzie Ziegler. The new girl," I nod and he continues, "Hi, I'm Joey, the eyes and and ears of this place." we both lightly chuckle. "Anything you need? Tour guide, lunch date, shoulder to cry on?" "Uh," I say, letting out a breath, "I'm really kind of the more suffer-in-silence type." looking down my feet. "Good headline for the future. I'm on the paper, and you're news, baby, front page." he says, stretching both of his arms in front of us like people do when they want you to imagine something. "No, I'm not!" I say quickly, not wanting any attention on me, "You... Please don't have any sort of-" he cuts me off saying, "Woah, woah. Chillax. No feature," I looked at him and smiled. "Okay? Cool?" I thanked him with a simple 'thanks' as we continued walking down the hallway.