Chapter 16

(Amy)

The recipe pages fluttered, trying to break free from the rocks that were preventing them from taking flight. While the wind might spell freedom for the papers, it meant frozen body parts for Amy and the small army of volunteers handing out food. A line of cars snaked through the streets of the neighborhood around the Kellerton Library long before the food pantry had all of the distribution stations set up along the sidewalk in front of the building.

Five cars at a time were allowed to pull into the distribution area. The occupants got out and worked their way down the sidewalk lined with food stations to pick out foods like frozen turkeys, canned green beans, and cake mixes. There was no need to bring in a refrigerated truck since the temperature was several degrees below freezing. A volunteer ushered each person or family through the lineup, starting with the table manned by Amy and Sophie, the recipe and food preparation consultants, to see if there were any questions about what to choose or how to prepare the foods. They chatted with harried moms who worried about getting their children to eat vegetables and twentysomethings who didn't know how to cook but couldn't afford to buy fast food for every meal.

Two hours whirled by before Amy had a chance to stop talking for a moment and look around. Sophie was at the other end of the line of stations, chatting with a few of the other volunteers. Most of the pallets and bins that had been stacked full of boxed food and frozen poultry were almost empty. Even the cases of seitan, tofu, and vegan cheese that Rori was offering at her vegetarian station were mostly gone. Amy was a bit surprised that the meat-free meal offerings had been so popular in the middle of a holiday season that most people associated with crown rib roasts, glazed hams, or turkey.

Rori pulled her dark purple crocheted ski hat farther down to cover her ears. "I've been so busy I didn't realize how cold I am."

"I know," Amy said as she rubbed her hands together. She had worn black leather gloves to have the dexterity to pick up recipe sheets, but their insulating properties were far less than the faux-fur-lined mittens she loved to wear in cold weather. "There isn't much food left, and the line of cars has made it through. There's just a trickle of vehicles driving in now. I think we'll wrap this up soon before we all end up sick for the holiday from getting so cold."

"Take some echinacea when you get home. Maybe wash it down with some licorice tea," Rori suggested.

Amy actually had both of those things on hand. She had recently picked up a natural medicine handout at Yoga For You then visited the health food store to stock up the homeopathic remedies on her way home from the studio. Being sick made miserable winters so much more unbearable. Vitamin C tablets, elderberry extract, and slippery elm lozenges were also hanging out in her medicine cabinet, ready to be employed at the first sign of illness.

"I'll do that. Hot tea sounds lovely right now." She tapped her nose. "My nose is so cold it's numb. A little bit of steam would help thaw it out."

Rori smiled briefly, but the expression soured as she looked down the line of stations. "Your body needs quality fuel to fight off illnesses. It is so frustrating to see food pantries handing out items that are full of white flour, sugar, and preservatives. I realize they can only give out what has been donated to them, but it's so distressing that people with low incomes have to eat so unhealthily. I bet many of them would get back on their feet quicker if they had access to more nutritious meals. Brains and bodies function better with real food for fuel."

"I've used my fair share of white flour and sugar over the years." Amy held her hands up in the surrender position. "Please don't hold it against me."