Chapter 19

(Amy)

The special gloves with little spots of conductive metallic thread embroidered on the fingertips were a great thing. Alex had bought them for her on one of his business trips. She loved being able to access the to-do list app on her phone without having to take off the gloves. No more ice-cold fingers for the sake of using technology. Amy stepped aside from the flow of people coming through the doors behind her. At the edge of the dining area, she studied the task list she had put together the night before to see if there was anything else she could get at Clement Street Market to prepare for the baby shower. Her main goal was to order a big bowl of LeighAnne's incredible banana pudding. Bananas and chocolate were a classic flavor combination. So adding banana pudding to the brownie buffet was a perfect option for a non-chocolate dessert. Plus, LeighAnne made the best version of the Southern dessert Amy had ever tasted.

Apparently there were a lot of people getting ready for the weekend because the aisles were packed. She studied the traffic flow for a few seconds and picked a route through the center rows. The aroma of mint pulled her from the left to the right side of the aisle. The Tea Emporium was brewing up a fresh pot of one of their custom blends to offer samples to curious shoppers. She stopped at the edge of the booth and studied the tea varieties written on a picture frame chalkboard hanging on the back wall. A couple of kinds of hot tea would be a nice option to coffee or the mango punch Amy was planning on serving.

She left the booth with a paper bag full of fragrant herbal teas, from the sweet mint that led her to the merchant to a pineapple and coconut rooibos red tea that tasted like a tropical summer day. Or at least that's what the description on the label said. She hadn't been able to sample that one. Her next stop was the Southern Gals booth. That was until she wandered farther up the aisle and spotted the Michigan mitten-shaped cheese board at Buck's Wooden Wares. It would be the perfect prop to use in pictures for her blog.

"This is wonderful," she told Buck as she removed it from the wire stand that was holding it upright. "I have to get it."

"It's my newest design." He wrapped the board in sheets of newspaper and slipped the parcel into a generic plastic shopping bag. "I've been doing a lot of work lately since my nights are so lonely."

"I can't imagine how hard it must be for you right now."

He held out the bag. "It's awful. It sure would be nice if you could help me out sometime. You've seen me in my boxers, so you're already halfway there."

Hello, sleazy come on. LeighAnne had been right. Amy grabbed the bag, but he wouldn't let go for what felt like a minute. The prolonged contact made her creep meter chirp in a warning. Then his statement really sunk in. He had been in his underwear during the showdown with Harlan. What if he was flirting with her to try to lure her to his house so he could kill her for spying on him?

"Uh...I'm really busy with holiday season stuff."

His smile flattened. "Well, it sure was nice of you to bring me those frozen dinners."

Instant relief zipped through her body. She had forgotten that she had seen the horny senior citizen in his undies twice. Buck had apparently gotten his jollies from the almost deadly, drunken encounter while she was left desperately trying to erase the images from memory.

"You're welcome." Amy spun around. The bag with the heavy cutting board smacked into the purse of another woman who had stealthily entered the booth while Amy was freaking out. The unintended pummeling resulted in an angry glare from the innocent victim. "I'm so sorry. Excuse me."