Chapter 3

Elmpaw stalked her sister through the pine forest, pawsteps nearly silent. She bared her teeth in amusement, calling out, "Blizzardpaw, where'd you go?" Elmpaw was technically supposed to be helping one of the medicine cats, Nimblebird, gather herbs, but her sister had decided to pounce on her. Which in turn meant she had to get back at her. The gentle tom had only laughed and said he wouldn't say a thing as the dark gold she-cat ran off.

Rustling in the bushes off to the side made her turn her head and duck into cover in order to hide her bright pelt. A dark-colored pelt was moving down the path, glancing around every so often. The apprentice grinned, moving to attack position. When her target was in an optimum spot for ambush, she pounced.

Blizzardpaw squawked, and batted at Elmpaw's stomach as her sister's weight hit her. The dark-gold apprentice was slightly smaller, but she was much more graceful and fast. She playfully swatted at her sister's ears.

"Ugh, you win," Blizzardpaw snorted, shaking her sister off of her, "let's get back and help Nimblebird before a patrol comes by and yells at us."

Elmpaw winced, jumping to her paws and shaking out her ruffled pelt, "yeah, that wouldn't be fun. The last time we got put on tick duty." They darted over to the patch of nettles where Nimblebird was carefully collecting a few of the spiny seeds.

He grinned over at them, "did you get her, Elmpaw?"

"Yup." She ducked away from a swat aimed at her ear.

The white tom chuckled lowly. He carefully wrapped the seeds up in an ivy leaf, and put it in the pile of other herbs, "that's the last thing needed other than watermint. You can go ahead and carry those back while I get the watermint."

Elmpaw nodded, picking up a bundle of herbs that smelled so strong her nose grew numb. Her sister picked up the rest, and they trotted back to camp through the cool, dark forest. They ducked into the camp, padding past the boulder at the entrance. The two apprentices headed to the medicine den, which was in a far corner of the camp. Elmpaw poked her head in first, the scent of herbs not quite as strong as usual due to the bundle under her nose.

The smoky black tom looked up, "ah, good. You're back. Bring those over here." Elmpaw set her bundle down beside Darkfern, Blizzardpaw following suit. Darkfern glanced at the medicine den entrance, "where's Nimblebird?"

"He told us to come back with these while he went to get watermint. He'll be back after he does that," Blizzardpaw replied. The old medicine cat nodded in acknowledgement, "I shall release you two to go do as you wish then."

"Thanks!" The two she-cats darted out of the den. Elmpaw snagged a lizard from the fresh-kill pile on her way and flopped down by her cousin to eat it.

Tawnydash glanced over at her, "I see you have been freed from herb collecting duty."

Elmpaw chuckled, peeling off the scaly skin from the lizard to get to the meat, "I was productive for most of it, then Blizzardpaw jumped on me and I had to chase her for a bit." She took a bite, amber gaze flicking around the clearing.

The golden she-cat laughed, "that sounds like something your sister would do."

Elmpaw snorted, swatting the young warrior with her tail, "of course it does, because she's done it many times. Not just to me." She took another bite of her lizard, "on a side note, are you going to the Gathering tonight?"

Tawnydash shook her head, "no, but you are. Reedstar told me to let you know."

Excitement gleamed in the younger cat's eyes, "I haven't been to a Gathering in awhile, so that will be fun." She stretched out a paw, glancing around the clearing again. Her Clanmates were scattered around, chatting with others, or eating prey. Most were still out on patrol.