Chapter 5

The yellow tom followed Foxthistle, his brown tipped ears perked, listening for any sound. The RiverClan medicine cat had offered to help search for Baycrest, or at least, any signs that might tell them where he was. Her sharp nose would hopefully pick up any scent trails they might have missed. In the time since the last Gathering, they had found zero traces of either Baycrest or Nimblebird. That greatly concerned him.

The rest of their patrol spread out along the area where he had last been seen, but they still hadn't found any traces. It didn't help that there had been rain the last few days. Morningwish gave a frustrated growl, "it's like he vanished off the face of the earth!"

Foxthistle patted his shoulder with her tail, "Morningwish, relax. Whoever took him likely didn't want to kill him, otherwise they'd done so when he was alone. I haven't found any spots of blood."

"The rain could have washed it away though," Tigerdust lashed her tail. The russet she-cat's temper grew shorter and shorter the longer it took to find her brother. At least Archberry, Baycrest's mate, was calmer. They needed to have cool heads if they were to find anything.

The RiverClan medicine cat sighed, "I can't confirm if he's dead or alive, but I can try to confirm where he might be. The last scent trail you could find led to the tunnels, correct?"

All of the WindClan cats in the immediate area nodded. The she-cat swished her white tail, "let's search there then, if the tunnels are stable enough."

Dappledjay and Archberry exchanged dubious expressions, "It's probably safer to wait until tomorrow, just in case the rain made them unstable."

"That's probably wise," Foxthistle shook out her pelt.

Morningwish sighed, glancing up at the swiftly-darkening sky, "we should head back to the camp." Tigerdust flicked her tail, likely wanting to stay out and keep looking, but nodded in reluctant agreement. It would be nearly impossible to see anything in the dark.

The yellow tom sighed again, and began to lead the way back to camp.

--------

Morningwish accompanied Frostpaw, while several other WindClan warriors ranged out around them to ensure no one snuck up on them. Foxthistle walked on his other side, a bundle of herbs in her jaws. The dark blue apprentice's gaze flicked around nervously. Despite her boldness, she was wary of going outside of camp by herself to avoid the same fate of her mentor.

The tom helped carry the last of the feverfew, the soft leaves held carefully in his mouth. He ducked into the camp behind Foxthistle and Frostpaw, emerging into the sunny, open clearing. The rest of the escort followed and scattered to various places in the camp. When they reached the medicine den, he set the herbs down near the rest, and turned to leave the den.

"I'll be waiting near the entrance after I grab something to eat," he dipped his head to Foxthistle.

The gray and white medicine cat nodded, and went to help the WindClan medicine apprentice put the rest of the herbs away. Morningwish picked up a small rabbit and went to sit near Nightstem, who was watching Breezekit, Tumblekit, and Aspenkit.

The white and ginger she-cat looked over at him, "any luck locating Baycrest?"

"No, unfortunately," Morningwish sighed, "we're going to search the tunnels once Foxthistle is done putting the herbs we collected away." He took a small bite of the rabbit before speaking again, "the scent trail ended there, so he was likely taken through there. All evidence points towards a kidnapping. I have no idea what reason someone would have for that though."

Nightstem narrowed her eyes, the fur on her spine rising, "why on earth would someone kidnap a medicine cat? Unless they have a personal grudge, or want to cause general chaos, I see no reason for that."