A Friendly, Yet Invisible Shadow

Hey guys-! Just a quick note that I've already imagined the main characters as actresses, and I picture Dakota Lopez as the actor Victoria Justice (it seemed fitting) anyway enjoy the first chapter!

Dakota's POV

"I am not going to a party, period. I have so much homework to do, and my AP Lit teacher is going to rip me a new asshole if I don't finish the Jane Eyre essay," I said, not entirely lying. Truth be told, Mrs. Lancaster's essay really was due, but that was the only homework that I had that week since I'd done most of it the previous one.

But there was no way I was going to let Lauren drag me out to a college party. A freaking college party, and we were only juniors.

Lauren groaned as she meticulously brushed out her silky black hair. "You're never any fun, Dakota. Loosen up, who cares about homework?"

"Says you," I muttered. Lauren's mom was the classic carefree supportive mom that let her get mediocre grades and do whatever she wanted. My mom was the strict, working-three-jobs-and-I-need-you-to-succeed-for-me mom. I was happy that she worked hard for me, but that never stopped her from constantly telling me how hard I made her life when I was born.

So, grades matter.

"Look, I'll talk to your mom. She loves me." She smiled brightly, and I know it's true. My own mother even favored Lauren. She was the favorite.

Always.

But, I gave in. "Fine, talk to her. But I have a boyfriend, so he's coming."

"Anthony? Come on, he's playing you! He's a total jerk and you know it."

"Is it that hard to believe that a guy might actually like me?" I said, inhaling sharply.

"Boo, I don't mean it like that. I mean that you deserve better than that! You're hot and you're sexy. Guys want you."

"No, I'm a twig, and you're the sexy one." I scowled, and Lauren laughed. "Not funny!"

"Oh God. You really need to go to this party, I'm serious. Break up with the jerk, make out with a guy maybe..."

I shoved Lauren off the bed. "Stop it, I swear!"

Smirking, Lauren smoothed down her hair and got off the floor. "Just saying."

I groaned, knowing that she wasn't going to leave me alone about the matter. "Well? Go talk to my mom!"

She giggled, her pearly white smile beaming at me. "Start prepping for your epic makeover when I get back!"

She strutted out of the room, her hair swishing at the same pace as her hips. Envy enveloped me, but I pushed it away. She was my best friend. I didn't get to be jealous.

But I couldn't help it.

I had met her when I was just entering the junior year, a few months ago. I liked the braids that were in her hair, so I had gone to compliment her, and next thing I knew we were inseparable.

But then I noticed...she got the guys, had the perfectly clear, beautiful skin that complimented any outfit she wore. She was popular, made friends easily, and had thousands of followers on social media.

Me? I was just her weird nerd friend who looked like a stick with a few strands of bland brown hair on the top of my head.

I was clearly her shadow, and I didn't mind. She was the sweetest, the prettiest, the most social.

But, when December rolled around, I decided that I wanted to be at least remarkable, so I dyed my hair midnight blue and developed my own sense of style- lots of eyeliner, pale pink lips, a diamond nose stud, worn Converses and dark jeans with lots of big hoodies to hide my skinny arms.

But it still wasn't enough to match up with her. The stunning green eyes, shiny hair in braids all the time, perfect chocolate skin, an Instagram-worthy body which she could wear any skirt or pair of shorts with was not something that I could ever even try to compete with.

Sighing, I forged my mother's signature on the B- minus from math class (she would have surely punished me if she found out after all.)

"Good news, she said yes!!" explained Lauren as she skipped into my cramped bedroom (stuffed with Polaroid photos on strings and cluttered with sketches on my vanity). "Only thing is she said that you'll have to study some extra hours in your room as makeup for the time you'll be missing."

I rolled my eyes, totally expecting the response. "This will be fun."

"It will be! Now let's get started on you. How about we dye the hair neon pink? Give it a little funk?"

See? She was fearless, and I was just the shadow.

———
Hello guys!! Thanks for reading this first chapter!
So, what are your opinions on Dakota and Lauren?
Sorry if the chapters I write are short, I don't have an awful lot of time to write but I'll do what I can!
I'll be writing this story (Just A Party) and my other story (The Secrets Between Us) on Wednesdays most likely.
Anyway thanks for reading and hope that you'll enjoy the stories!