Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen 

The best thing about Annette's visit was the way she'd given Myrtle an excuse to talk to Annette's husband. Myrtle hadn't fancied calling Silas up with an electrical problem for him to take a look at-that would have set her back at least a hundred dollars---just for him to walk through her door. 

Now all Myrtle had to do is to "find" Annette's missing pocketbook and deliver it to Silas, along with a few well-phrased and pointed questions. 

Myrtle was about to pick up the phone and see if Miles wanted to go with her to the store to buy a cheap purse, when she hesitated. Miles had been icy on the way back from the dentist. She'd better let him sulk it all out of his system before she asked him for another favor. Miles could nurse hurt feelings much longer than a woman could.  

Still, the thought of walking to Brogan's, the small, downtown department store, wasn't particularly appealing to Myrtle. The last couple of days (and accompanying wakeful nights) had tired her out more than she wanted to admit. She'd give Elaine a call. Maybe Elaine would be up for a short shopping trip, or at least up for an opportunity to take some more appallingly bad pictures for the Bradley Bugle. 

Fifteen minutes later, Elaine's van pulled into her driveway. "I'm always ready to get out of the house," she said, as Myrtle climbed into the front seat "but you know we're likely to have more of an adventure than you planned. I have Jack with me. Of course." 

Myrtle turned to look into the back of the van and saw Jack beaming at her as he clutched his well-worn Dirty Doggy doll. "He looks like an absolute angel," said Myrtle. "I don't think he's planning to take us on any types of adventures." 

Jack threw Dirty Doggy at her and laughed. 

Elaine sighed. "Sweet and sour. That's Jack's mood today. I know you mentioned a short trip to the store. It could possibly end up being even shorter than you'd planned. What is it that you're shopping for again?" 

"A new pocketbook," said Myrtle, holding Dirty Doggy up and making him walk and trip up on the air as Jack crowed loudly in response. 

"A pocketbook?" asked Elaine, shooting Myrtle a sideways look. "Don't you have that huge shelf in your bedroom closet that's filled to bursting with large, navy purses?" 

"Now, now, Elaine. They're not just navy, they're black and gray and beige, too," said Myrtle. Neutrals went with everything. 

Elaine was clearly planning to ask more questions about the unusual pocketbook hunting expedition, but they were already at the department store. Plus, Jack was contemplating having an enormous meltdown. 

"Did you bring your camera?" asked Myrtle. "There should be gobs of opportunities to take pictures at Brogan's." 

"I figured I was juggling enough today," said Elaine. "With Jack being in an unpredictable mood and all." She lifted him out of the car and put him directly into the stroller that she'd quickly unfolded. 

They walked into the ancient store and traveled up the elevator to the second floor, which had women's clothes and accessories. The elevator still had an equally ancient elevator attendant who opened the door manually for them when they arrived on the second floor. Myrtle swore she remembered the same attendant when she'd been a child at the store.  

Elaine started walking to the large, neutral handbag section. "This one looks like you, Myrtle," she said, holding up a likely candidate. She rummaged on the inside, pulling out some of the paper that filled the bag. "It's got lots of pockets for your peppermints. I know how much you love stashing those away." 

Myrtle looked to the very back, way-off corner of the store. "Actually, I think I'm going to look at the bargain table. You know-see what's drastically reduced."