NINE

When Jasper got back to the house, it was very late and he was quite drunk. It was the only way he could cope with being around so many people. So many visions... Useless visions. The liquor tempered them.

He spotted Ryn and waved at her awkwardly. "Hi."

She tried to hold in a laugh, couldn't. "You are..."

He answered for her. "Not sober, fairly awkward and very sorry."

She giggled at him. "Come sit down in the kitchen. I'll get you some water."

He looked around as he made his way to the table. "You cleaned." He collapsed down in a chair.

"That I did. Here," she passed him a glass of water.

He stared at it. "You found this. Where?"

"The attic." She sat across from him. "There's enough stuff to make up there to make this place an actual home."

He stared at the glass, suspicious of it. "This glass could trigger a vision. I am not in the mood for that shit." Jasper slurred.

She shrugged. "If you get a headache from it, I can fix it. Go ahead."

Still staring at it like the glass could bite him at any second, he slowly drew up his hand and poked it. It rattled on the uneven table.

"Safe?" She asked.

He picked it up, stared at it a little bit more, then downed half of it. "Yup."

"We can designate that a safe cup for you."

His eyes widened. "Cool..."

She giggled. "Gosh, you're cute."

Jasper held up a hand. "I am a voracious man-eater." He said matter-of-factly. "I could eat your intestines for lunch." He stared at her for several seconds more. "I'm a lucky fuck."

She cocked her head at him. "How's that?"

"You're pretty." He tells her.

She smiled. "Thanks."

"I didn't think it would be possible for me to have a mate. I didn't think it would happen. But gosh, Ryn I kinna like you. Witch and all." He grinned. "I was so pissed off when I saw you send that bolt of lightning at the fae. So pissed."

She shook her head, smiling. "You haven't even known me for twenty-four hours."

"I watched you." He confessed. "I've watched you since you were sixteen."

She was taken aback. "Seriously?"

He snorted. "Umm... That boy... I don't even know his name. Blonde guy. Short. You know how... he was uh, mugged? Walking home from your house?"

Her eyes widened. "Jesus, that was you?"

"You told him no. He didn't listen. I couldn't just let him go. At least... at least the other guy treated you right." He placed his hand on his chest, "not as good as I, but well enough. You were too young. You still are now, really, but..." He trailed off.

She stared at the table, still smiling softly. "I can't believe you protected me like that."

"It what we do." He drank the rest of the water.

She took the cup from him and refilled it, giving it back. "He broke up with me after that. I was so sad, but the more I thought about it," she cleared her throat, "he probably would have raped me."

He nodded solemnly. "If the pack ever found out I attacked him I woulda been in a world of hurt. If we find our mates before they're eighteen, we're never supposed to interfere. But I couldn't..." He shook his head, started on his refill. "Couldn't do it. You said no."