Chapter Sixteen - Found Friendship

Calanthe held onto the secret that Hrafn had shared with him in private

Calanthe held onto the secret that Hrafn had shared with him in private. Hrafn had told Calanthe that not a soul needed to know what he had spoken. If the truth was leaked, then Taryn would be devastated in a matter of minutes.

On the highest rooftop of the Tarynian castle, the breeze tore through Calanthe, making his teeth chatter. Hrafn's cloak billowed around him, the hood barely keeping up. Calanthe tucked his own cloak tighter around himself. He never understood how Tarynians could withstand this cold with such ease. Tolerance was the only word he could think of.

Hrafn had brought Calanthe to the bird shelter not long after their discussion. Each cage was built with sturdy wood, iron bolts and latches, and lattice wire, keeping the birds safe. High cobblestone walls blocked all sides of their living space. Then there was a thatch roof which covered the top. Calanthe stayed back as Hrafn unlocked the front wooden door into the massive space. Calanthe's eyes grew wide when Hrafn selected the largest of the birds.

"Are you sure?"

Hrafn glanced over his shoulder. "Of what? Are you afraid of them?"

Calanthe shook his head, then paused mid-action. Weren't they wild? Calanthe swallowed his nerves. Hrafn appeared to know what he was doing from start to finish.

Hrafn placed a gauntlet on his left arm and chirped to the bird. It jumped onto his arm, flapping its wings wildly. Hrafn petted the animal on the head, muttering words to it. Calanthe gazed in amazement. Hrafn attached a scroll to the gray hawk, carefully sealing the letter into a leather pouch on its talon. The bird had blue-tinged wings and bright orange talons. Calanthe knew it was of Northern origin and could fly long distances in the ripping winds and heavy blowing snow.

Calanthe stepped away from the front door when Hrafn neared. Hrafn tied a string from the hawk to his gauntlet before he exited the massive shelter. Hrafn walked to the farthest corner of the wall-walk, directly facing South-East. He untied the string then pointed outwards.

"Fluga!" Hrafn commanded, his voice clear over the screeching winds.

Calanthe startled when the hawk jetted off. They both watched it, flapping its mighty wings against the storm. It was a sight to behold before the hawk vanished into oblivion. Calanthe clutched his chest before he blushed, glancing at Hrafn.

"What did you say to it?" he asked, wondering what word Hrafn had spoken.

"Fly," Hrafn replied, then he turned back the way he had come. Calanthe followed along, tailing him like an inquisitive young man. "All these birds were trained to understand Ikshan. Any commands I give must be spoken in that dialect."

Calanthe nodded. "That's outstanding. Did you train them?"

Hrafn quieted, longer than usual. He removed the gauntlet then set it inside in a chest, sealing it with a key. He glanced over the cages and shelter, ensuring the confines were secure. Calanthe waited outside of them for Hrafn to finish. Hrafn went between each bolt and lock, checking them over one last time. Then he exited the shelter and removed a key from his pocket, inserting it into the front door latch. He jostled it before he faced Calanthe.