Chapter 7

Mike P.O.V.

Her lips are so soft. I need more of this kiss. I break for air, before smashing my lips to hers again. It's like our lips move in sync. I've wanted to kiss her for so long. The kiss is almost desperate, but rightfully so. I didn't think I'd ever get to be kissing her. I wanted so badly to protect her and keep her safe from all the things she'd experienced, and I'd be damned if any other of my friends died, but I couldn't lose her now.

(Y/n) P.O.V.

Fuck, he is an amazing kisser. His tongue runs over my bottom lip, asking for entrance, which I playfully deny. He bites my bottom lip lightly, making me slightly gasp. He takes the opportunity to explore my mouth. I moan a little into the kiss. His hands place themselves on the rim of my shirt. I pull away. "Um, Mike, we kinda have another issue." We look at Josh who had been staring intently. "Don't mind me. I won't tell Chris." I sigh and shake my head. "Right." He says. "One more thing... are you okay, Mike?" I say in a hushed manner. "I'm more concerned about you. I knew how afraid of fire you are, and it burned your jacket." I shudder at the the thought, but don't let him change the subject. "I-I'm okay. But, you saw Jess-" He cuts me off. "I'm okay. I don't want to talk about it, okay?" I simply nod. "I guess if anyone can understand that it's me. Maybe Josh if he was...okay." I say, looking at the guy in pity.

Suddenly we hear a scream coming from outside. "Oh, what now?" Mike growl, giving Josh a pointed look. We start walking back to the cabin. Something just feels sinister about it. I stand closer to Mike, and he puts an arm around me. "It'll be okay." He promises. "You say that, but... I'm not so sure." He kisses my temple. "It was just Josh, okay? He can't hurt anyone now." "That's the thing, he wasn't trying to hurt anyone, except maybe me. There's just something else wrong here. I- when I was looking for Hannah and Beth that night, I was chased by something. That's how I tripped and hit my head if you remember. I didn't see it, but it was not an animal. It sounded so...monstrous." I tell him. He's quiet for a minute. "You were scared and drunk. I'm sure it was just an animal." He reassures. I don't respond. We make it to the lodge, and go inside to see everybody surrounding a Emily. "Em! You made it!" Mike says.

"Oh, god, Mike." She runs to him. I move away, so he hugs her. I feel a little jealous, but it's just a hug. Just a hug... "Yeah, yeah, barely!" Chris shouts, freaked out. I wrap him in a hug. "What about Matt?" Mike asks. "We're trying to figure that out..." Ashley starts. "And there was this "monster" that was chasing her..." Chris says. I back away. "What?" I give Mike a fearful, I-told-you-so, look. "She's all messed up, guys. Emily? Hey, Em?" Mike says. "No...no she isn't. I fucking told you, Mike. I told you!" I start pacing the room. "(Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n), what are you talking about?" Chris asks me. I retell what happened that night. I never actually told anyone. "She's right, she's right. It's NOT Josh!" I'm freaking out. Chris wraps me in a hug again. "Calm down." He soothes.

Suddenly, a bang is heard from the back door of the lodge. "Who the fuck can that be?" Mike asks. "Josh?" Ashley asks. "Jess?" "It's not Jess." Mike insists. "Sorry man... but who is it?" Chris asks. "I don't know... We should check it out." Mike suggests. "No, no we should not! Horror movie 101, don't check out the strange noise." I say. I'm ignored. "I got your back." Chris says. "Good." Mike and Chris make their way to the back door, me following. "We should check it out they say, it'll be fine they say." I grumble. "Nobody made you come with us. Kinda would have preferred you'd stayed with everyone else." Chris points out. I shrug. Mike points the gun at the door in precaution.

"Okay. I'm gonna open the door. You ready? You ready?" Chris asks. I nod, standing by Mike. "Uh huh. Just do it already, whoever it is has probably gone by now." Mike says. "Unless you want me to take the gun." "No, no, no. I think that's less good. You do the door, I got the gun." "Can you two stop bickering like a married couple and open the door?" I say. Chris opens the door and is knocked over when a strange man kicks the door open. "Shit! Shit!" Chris says. The stranger walks towards Mike and I. "Ah! Ho-hold on there! Hold on there, mister." Mike stutters. "Freeze- Ahh! What the-- Alright, alright, just take it easy grandpa."  The guy takes the gun off Mike. "Ok. Everybody just calm down." The guy says. "Why should we? You just came here pretty aggressively." I hiss. Despite this we all back away the stranger, back to the other room

"Now just move over there. Go on, move! Let me say what I came to say. I'm here to tell you what you're up against being back on this mountain. You should never have returned. I don't know why you did after what happened last year." His tone is dark. I realize I recognize his voice. The guy drops his bag near the fireplace. "You mean with Hannah and Beth?" Ashley asks. "How do you know about that? You wouldn't unless you were involved." Mike implies. "Or responsible." Sam adds. "No...it's you." I say. "The guy in the cliff." I add. He looks at me. "I am." Everyone looks at me. "I-I...he was on the cliff with me. He tried to help, but then he disappeared." I answer. "And you never thought we should know about this guy?" Emily asks harshly. I shrink away a little, making Mike come over to me to comfort me.

"You hold on to your horses. I don't take kindly to you kids coming up here to my mountain--" Mike cuts him off. "Your mountain? I'm sure the Washingtons would be very surprised to hear that." The stranger chuckles. "Heh heh. Well, this mountain don't belong to me, it's true. But it don't belong to the Washingtons. This mountain belongs to the Wendigo." My eyes grow wide. I've seen all kinds of lore and folktales on wendigo, but they can't be real. "Those are a legend. They're aren't real." I insists.

"What's he talking about?" Sam asks. "What the hell's a Wendigo?" "A monster." I whisper in reply. "Now I'm only going to tell you this once. It doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not. I got reasons I want to... Get it off my chest..." Mr. Scarface says. "See? I told you! He's guilty as shit! Guilty of something!" Mike yells. "Mike, just listen. Please." He looks at me, and nods. "There is a curse. That dwells in these mountains. Should any man or woman resort to cannibalism in these woods the spirit of the Wendigo shall be unleashed." The man explains. "Oh Crap." Mike mumbles like he is realizing something. "Jess?" I whisper. He nods, looking down.

"You're going to need to find somewhere safe." "The basement might be okay..." Sam suggests. "Okay. Get down there, now. All of you. And wait." He instructs. "What? Why? For how long?" Sams asks. "Until dawn." Emily says. "What about Josh?" I exclaim. "We left him in the shed when we heard screaming...shit!" I growl. "Your friend will already be dead." The stranger says. "No.... no we haven't been gone that long." I insist. "A lot can happen quickly on this mountain." "No. I'm gonna go get him." Chris says. "Are you insane? No!" I say. "You can't go out there, Chris!" Ashley adds. "I'm supposed to be his best friend and I let him down." Chris says. "I get how you feel. Because I let Hannah and Beth down. But I'll be damned if I let you down too." I growl. Chris shakes his head sadly. "No... he let you down, Chris - he let all of us down." Ashley inputs.

"I don't care. I'm going to get him." Chris decides. "Chris!" "Then I'll go with you." The stranger says. "I don't need your help." "Going alone is suicide." "Chris, he's right. I'd feel better if you were with someone." I say. "Fine." He sighs. "The rest of you - get down to the basement. Be safe. Don't go outside again until we're back." The stranger instructs. I sigh. This all got so much more complicated and scary and horrible. I wish I'd never come, or really that no one had. But then Mike places his hand in mine, and kisses me softly. "We'll get through this." He soothes. And I feel that maybe, this isn't all bad.