28.

During dinner Austin's phone starts to ring and he looks at it. "Excuse me, I need to take this call." He pushes out of his and walks away. Putting the phone up to his ear he talks to whoever is on the other end.

Grabbing my phone from my bag I find my sisters name and send her a text.

Me: Hey, Sis. How do you and your husband go on dates with disruptions from your phones?

It takes a couple of minutes before I get a reply.

Katrina: We put our phones on silent and leave it on the glovebox. At least that way we don't touch our phones during the date.

Me: We should have done that. Austin's talking to someone and I'm looking like an idiot sitting alone.

Katrina: Don't think too much of it. He'll be back soon and you can talk to him.

Me: I don't know what to talk to him about.

Katrina: Find out about his job and if he's been on any holidays.

Austin puts his phone back into his pocket and walks back to the table. "I'm sorry about that. One of cases just got pushed forward until the day after we return to New York. Some of my workmates are heading this way over the weekend and they are going to drop off the papers for me."

"Okay, so how is work going?"

A smile spreads across his face. "It's going good. I really enjoy being a Lawyer, but sometimes it sucks. Especially, when you see an innocent person go into jail and you have to try harder to get them out and produce evidence that wasn't seen before. What about you?"

"I've been doing office things for Dad. Helping Mom and keeping the house in order since Mom can't do too much."

"Can you forgive me for not being here when you needed me?"

"I forgave you a long time ago, Austin. You shattered my heart when you stopped returning my calls, but I had to move on."

"I'm sorry for that, Eliza. Have you been on holiday's anywhere?"

"Not, really. The furthest I've been is to the City. What about you?"

He reaches across the table and takes my hand in his. "I've been all over the place. Some with work and others have been with my ex-girlfriend, while she's done some photoshoots."

Of course that woman would come up in this conversation.

Moving my hand out of his, I reach for my glass and take a drink from it.

Austin's eyes never leave mine and he lets out a breath. "I really put my foot in it this time. Didn't I?"

"Yes, you did. To be honest I don't want to talk about your ex. She shouldn't be a part of our relationship. From tonight it's going to be about us. Deal?"

Austin stands up and walks over to me. Planting a kiss on my lips. He pulls back and says. "Deal. I like to seal my deals with a kiss."

Sitting in the school cafeteria with my friends at one of the desks in the middle. Austin approaches me and a few of his friends are close by. When he stops next to me I said. "Hey, Austin. What's going on?"

A smile spreads across his face and he slightly turns towards his friends. "I was dared to do this with you."

A confused look comes across my face. I look between him and his friends. "Do what?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Austin asks.

Flinging my arms around him I say. "Of course. I've been waiting a long time for you to ask."

Austin leans forward and kisses me in front of everyone. "No one else can have you now. You're all mine and I just sealed it with a kiss in front of everyone." He winks at me.

His friends close to us hoot and hi-five each other like little kids.

He whispers. "I'll see you after school for our session."

"Yes, you will." I wave at him as he walks out of the cafeteria with his friends behind him.

Austin shakes my shoulder, trying to get my attention. "Liz, are you okay?"

A smile spreads across my face as I look at him. "It's perfect. I was just thinking about the first time we sealed it with a kiss."

"Ah," recognition appears in his eyes and a smile spreads across his face. It lightens his blue eyes more. "The dare."

Was it really a dare that made him say it? Or was it some other reason?

"Can I ask you something?"

Austin walks back over to his seat and looks at me. "Sure, what do you want to know?"

"Was it really a dare? Or did you make it up? So, you could have courage to ask me the one question you couldn't ask on your own?"

He looks away from me and a blush appears on his face. "I didn't know how to ask you out and a friend asked me if he could dare me to do something 'what would it be?' and I told him to ask you out. So, that's where I got the courage. You scared the shit out of me."

The waiter walks over to us at that moment and places the food in front of us. "If you need anything else just give me a shout."

"Will, do. Thanks." The waiter walks away from us. Turning my attention back to Austin I say. "I wasn't that scary, Austin." Picking up the fork I spin the fettuccini around before putting it into my mouth.

Austin cuts into his medium-to-well done steak and puts it in his mouth. At the side of the plate is a small container with vinegar on it. "How's your food?"

"It's great." I scoop more pasta onto my fork and hold it out to Austin. "You should try some."

He grabs the fork from me and puts it in his mouth. "You're right this great. Did you know the steak is good too. Do you want to try some?"

Shaking my head I say. "Nah, I don't want to try that."

Once we're finished with our meals, the waiter returns with two slices of pizza and he puts it in front of us. "Before you leave Alfred wants to see you."

"Okay, can you tell him that we'll take two orders of my favourite dessert. He knows which one."

"Will do." He walks away and enters the kitchen.

"You're right. This pizza is great. How long have you known, Alfred for?"

A smile spreads across my face. "I met him a couple months after you left for University. I was feeling down and came her to get dinner for Mom and I as Dad was working. He found me at one of the tables crying. He let me into the kitchen and I watched him cook. He told me that if I ever need anything that I could stop by the kitchen anytime I wanted. To this day I still stop in and say 'Hi," You'll be the first person that I introduce him too."

"Okay, should we head to the kitchen?"

Gathering my stuff I stand. "Yes, we should. The waiter will give us the cheque while we're in the kitchen.