Chapter Two

Author's Note: I'm so sorry for the delay, I didn't think this would gather any attention at all but seeing that the reads are increasing I would really feel bad to leave this unfinished. I'll try to keep a schedule, perhaps two chapter in a week. Thank you for your time <3

The rain sounded louder behind her now. It met the wet ground with a violent force it made Zena think of stones falling from the sky. That seemed brutal if that was true but the further she went into the castle, it seemed getting pelted with stones thrown by whatever gods from above were better than being snatched by what hid in the darkness. She was waiting for her eyes to adjust with the darkness but the most she could make out was a grand staircase, illuminated from time to time by cracks of lightning outside.

Zena kept walking on a straight line, afraid to venture off a little to the sides. She kept her hands pressed against her chest too, thinking that if she kept her frame as small as possible she would be able to move quickly if ever a  hand juts out of the shadow to grab her down to hell.

"Hello?" She called out, her voice echoing several times before disappearing into a whisper and then nothing. There was no answer either, but Zena didn't know whether to feel relieved or not with the lack of reply. The bodies outside were already on the process of decay, but fresh enough that whoever had set them up surely was still living in the castle. The only reason she knew there were still people who lived in the castle was because the door was open a couple of hours ago, information provided by her magic. Someone had opened and closed it.

"I come in peace," she shouted again to the dark nothingness of the castle, "peace and wet garments. Hope you don't mind that I've successfully wet your floor."

Still no answer. Zena felt more relieved this time. Perhaps, no one actually lived in the castle. Who was she to be absolute that those two dead person outside weren't the castle's owner already? She didn't hear much about this castle from the town before but she had seen what a couple of townspeople with fires and pitchforks could do.

Well, that's decided. Zena went to look for a spot far enough from the entrance that if the wind blows it wouldn't smack her dead on the face--

"You're not welcome here," Zena heard him first before she saw him. He was walking down the staircase, a hand running over the railing as he went down in smooth steps it almost seemed to her that the man is floating.

"I'm sorry, I'm only taking shelter. The storm outside is bad—"

"Leave," it wasn't a request. Zena felt a chill down her spine and she was sure it was not because of the cold.

"Please, I mean no—"

"There's a reason two dead bodies are up front. Are you blind? I suppose you have a wish to end up with the same fate, then?" He stopped at the bottom of the stairs, an eerie figure still hidden from her by the shadows that lived and prospered in the castle.

A crack of thunder then lightning. It was only for a short moment but Zena saw enough. It might not have been Dracula standing in front of her, but she heard the stories, she knew the legends well to realize the mistake of coming into the castle.

The Alucard moved forward, the sword in his hand looking dangerously long and sharp. Zena gulped.

Zena wasn't a fighter, but she was a runner. She had survived a lot of night creatures because her magic was the best tool in giving her the chance to run away. All she had to do was form her hands in front of her and instead of turning back the time like she did with the castle doors, she'd freeze the time. Sounds pretty neat, hell someone had told her once that she could probably rule kingdoms with her power but she was a pacifist. She only ever used her magic to fix things. And to run away.

She should probably run away now, The Alucard was slow but he didn't stop moving. She matched his pace and moved backwards instead, keeping the distance between them safe and advantageous to her if ever it comes to a game of chase. She has never used her magic against a vampire before so she wasn't sure if she was going to get away so easily. Her magic can be nullified completely useless if The Alucard is powerful enough to fight against the strain of her power.

"Can't I stay just until the storm stops? I swear, if you're mad about the floor I'll have it cleaned in a blink of an eye."

"You seem to miss the situation you're in. You don't get to bargain with me, you've trespassed into my property. Consequences are due."

Zena didn't need to ask what he meant by consequences, she knew exactly what he meant. They kept their little dance for a while until Zena was standing outside of the doors, the heel of her shoe almost slipping on the last landing of the steps. Not once did she take away her eyes from The Alucard.

The Alucard raised a palm towards her and that was enough to start Zena. She raised her left hand onto a fist, the other hand just behind with her fingers spread. The same glowing clock appeared. From the glow of her magic, she could see that The Alucard had a look of soft surprise on his face, as if amused. She didn't move the clock yet.

"You're a magician?"

"So, I've been told. I have other tricks too, can't sit and bark though. Maybe with enough treats?"

The Alucard tilted his head at her, locks of pale yellow hair falling along the angle of his head, "you remind me oddly of a stupid friend."

"Friend? I can be your friend," perhaps she could appeal into his kindness. There were stories about The Alucard. Most often than not, they painted him in a light much different than Dracula. That he was different . Zena wasn't sure of the sincerity in those stories or what they meant by different. He was still a vampire, after all.

The Alucard smiled this time, but Zena wasn't sure whether it was genuine or he was simply fooling her and if she blinked, she would find those fangs deep in her neck soon.

"Goodbye," and just like that, the doors closed with a slam. It was loud and strong she fell a couple of steps down and would have been rolling down onto the wet ground if she hadn't used her magic to stop her falling. She moved the clock and she was back standing on top of the landing again.

"Nice meeting you," was all she could blurt out before her vision blurred. Her hands fell to her side, the glowing clock disappearing. She felt so cold now like winter was no longer a season but a feeling deep inside and it thrived all over her insides. She looked down. She no longer had the fur cloak. She cursed, feeling a pounding on her head.

Zena fell on her knees, gasping for breath. She needed to run away now, there was no telling if The Alucard had truly given up on the idea of punishing her for trespassing but she couldn't feel her limbs anymore. She fell on her stomach next, one side of her cheek pressed on the floor.

She was already sleeping by the time the castle doors opened again.