chapter xxiii.

They don't go anywhere on Saturday. Harry comes up with a better plan. On Friday as he leaves the clinic, he stops by for some groceries and wine that are very much not included on their normal shopping list. Then around 4 PM on Saturday, he gently kicks Zayn out with the kids and a box of pralines for Anne, who will watch Sadie and Noah for the night, leaving the house empty for the grown-ups to do whatever the fuck they like.

Harry felt like having a romantic dinner at home is better than going out somewhere to a posh restaurant and basically spending good two hours of their evening in the car or somewhere on public transport. He has grown to love their house again, this place in the world carved out just for them that exudes warmth and love. It's only fitting their first date night post-accident is there. They've grown so much as individuals and a family in this house, made a home out of it and it's just a special place to them. Of course, they are most likely going to move in the next few years into a bigger place as their family expands but this will always be their first house.

So Harry cooks a fancier meal than normal, forages the house for as many candles as he can find and sets a pretty romantic scene outside on their patio. Paul is very interested in the changes to his preferred environment outside and sniffs nearly every candle. Harry laughs at the cat, who he most likely won't be able to keep away so it'll probably be a romantic dinner for three. Unless he wants Paul's meows to soundtrack the night instead of the record player. Just as their children, Paul can be pretty clingy when it tickles his fancy. Especially when human food is involved.

Everything's ready by 6:30, so Harry just covers the food so it doesn't get cold (and Paul doesn't get his paws into it) and hops in the shower. One benefit of the short hair he's sporting now it's that it requires significantly less time for drying than his long locks. Still, he kind of misses the length. He might grow it out, just to give it a shot again. He started to like his new wardrobe, he might feel the same about the hair.

Harry's dressed and honestly, a little bit nervous when Zayn comes in at exactly 7 PM (Harry might've threatened him with setting a hungry Paul loose on his if he came back even a minute earlier). And fuck, it feels a bit too much like a first date. They've been married for five bloody years, Harry better get his shit together.

"Why's everything so dark?" is the first thing Zayn says when he comes in, Harry still coming down the stairs. "Have you joined a coven when I wasn't looking? I don't think it's full moon."

"Oh, shush," Harry scoffs and comes to Zayn, wrapping his arms around his neck. "I'm trying to be romantic, alright? Hi."

"Hey," Zayn smiles a little and kisses Harry quickly. "What am I in for tonight?"

"A lovely dinner cooked by yours truly," Harry grins. "And some surprises."

A crash comes in from the kitchen. Zayn's eyes go wide in amusement. "Is that one of them?"

"No, I think I forgot to close the dishwasher," Harry sighs, extracting himself from Zayn and walking to the kitchen. And just as he thought, Paul's meows are distinctly coming out of the dishwasher. After Harry pulls him out and shuts the door, he tells Zayn to go outside and grab the wine from the counter. Harry takes out their plates ready with the food from the oven, where they were kept for warmth and general safekeeping because it is not Paul's dinner.

"What made you think of this?" Zayn asks as he pours wine into their glasses, the food already in front of them. The only light illuminating the scene is coming from the candles and a string of lightbulbs that is a permanent fixture in the garden, helped out by the darkening sunset. All in all, Harry thinks he did pretty good.

"I dunno," Harry shrugs. "I just wanted us to spend time together, you and me and no one else. A restaurant or some place like that isn't exactly it, yeah? And..." Harry breathes in deeply, breaking eye contact for a beat. "I wanted to do something nice for you. As a thank you for being there for me and helping me get through everything after the accident."