Prologue: Once Upon a Dream

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far far away...

The sound of footsteps echoed throughout the empty hallway as the young, 16 year old Princess Aurora followed a trail of green smoke to her unknowing fate. She couldn't resist being drawn and following it, almost like she she was in a trance. As she followed the smoke, a pair of glowing dark, purple eyes with spade pupils watched from the shadows with a sinister smile. This pair of eyes belonged to a villain of darkness, considerably the most powerful villain of all. And the utter mention of her name would send even a single army running away in terror.

Her name was Maleficent.  

She was the elder sister of Princess Aurora, and had placed a curse on her on the day she was presented to the kingdom after she was born. Why you ask dear reader? I shall tell you. Maleficent had partaken after her father, who was a powerful fairy like her and the King of the kingdom that was once her home. She was the only child of her parents and expected to take the throne until the announcement that her mother the Queen, was expecting a second child who would take the throne instead. Maleficent felt betrayed by her family and grew resentful until she plotted to poison her mother, so she would lose her child and Maleficent could take the throne. 

Unfortunately, before Maleficent could put her plan into action, the King found out and exiled her, not wanting to charge her with treason and having her executed as most rulers would've done. The King loved his eldest daughter, but was heartbroken when he found out about her intentions. Maleficent was sent away from her home and found herself in the Enchanted Forest, where she made her new home. The King hoped that his daughter would learn from her mistakes and ask for forgiveness before he would allow her to come back home to the castle. However, Maleficent was planning her revenge as her hatred grew, and her heart became black as the darkness itself. Maleficent would get what she wanted, even if it meant becoming a monster everyone would fear. 

Many months later after Maleficent was exiled, the kingdom celebrated on the day her younger sister Aurora was born. The news spread throughout the land like wildfire until it reached the ears of Maleficent herself. After receiving it, the dark fairy was about to carry out her planned attack until news of Aurora's day of being presented got to her. Maleficent took a moment to take her original plan into consideration until an idea hit her. Since she was the elder sister of the newborn princess, Maleficent decided to go to the day of the presentation, uninvited with a very special "gift".

On the day of the presentation, the entire kingdom was gathered at the castle to see their new princess. 3 fairies named Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather were also present at the castle to each give their own gift to the newborn princess. The event was held in the throne room where everyone got a glimpse of the little princess,who was sleeping in her crib near the thrones of the King and Queen. As the baby slept, everyone else watched while the three fairies fluttered above the crib to cast their gift. 

Flora smiled as she fluttered above the crib of Princess Aurora. "For my gift, I shall give this sweet little princess beauty like the roses."  Flora said before she waved her wand. A spark of light came out of her wand and became a white butterfly, fluttering and landing on the baby's before disappearing into sparkles. The sound of the baby's soft cooing was heard as she opened her pink eyes with heart shaped pupils.