Worth It - 13th Doctor

Warnings - homophobia 

You played with your hands as the Doctor worked on the console. The looks she was sending your way told you that she knew that there was something on your mind, but she was patient with you and decided to wait for you to tell her what was bothering you when you were ready. She didn't have to wait long.

"I want to go home."

"Oh." Was the only thing the Doctor could muster. She would be lying if she didn't say that her hearts felt heavy. You finally turned to look at her and was shocked at what you saw. Your Doctor was nearly in tears.

"Doctor? What's wrong?" You rushed around the Tardis console and pulled her into your arms.

"It's nothing. Let's get you home, shall we?" The bitterness in her tone made you realise why she was acting this way.

"Oh, Doctor, I didn't mean it like that. I want to go home you're coming with me." The Doctor's melancholy was suddenly cast aside.

"(Y/n)! Don't scare me like that!"

"I'm so sorry! I was going to add that you were coming with me, but my nerves got the better of me." The Doctor took hold of your hand and kissed it.

"Why would you be nervous? You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know, but telling you isn't what I'm nervous about."

"Then what is it?"

"My parents want to meet you." The Doctor apparently didn't feel your anxiety about the matter as she clapped her hands together in glee.

"Really? Oh, brilliant!"

"Brilliant is not the word I would use."
The Doctor didn't seem to hear as she piloted the Tardis your parent's house. The feeling of dread built when the ship lurched, signalling that you had landed. You silently prayed that the Doctor had gotten the coordinates wrong as she grabbed your hand and pulled you over to the door. You were dismayed to find that the Doctor had for once, unfortunately for you, got it right.

"Come on, then!" You dug your heels in when she tried to tug you up to your parents from door.

"What's wrong?"

"Erm - I haven't exactly told them about you."

The Doctor looked at you in confusion. "What? But you said they wanted to meet me." You let go of her hand brushed your hands through your hair making it messier than it already was. "I told them of you. Completely different thing. Maybe we should go. Come back in a couple of weeks, or a month or never." The door suddenly opened and all hope of getting away was gone.

"(Y/n)! I thought it might be you. What are you doing standing out here? Come in!" You shuffled into the house and gave your mother an awkward pat on the back when she hugged you. "I'm so happy to see you, darling." She pulled away from the hug."Oh, who's your friend?" The Doctor took the opportunity to introduce herself before you could stop her.

"Hello! I'm the Doctor!" She held out her hand to your mother.

"Oh." Was all she could say before plastering a fake smile on her face. "I should go and check on the dinner." She walked away, leaving the Doctor with her hand still waiting to be shook. You took it and squeezed it. "I'm sorry about that."

"Oh, it's fine! Trust me when I say I've had worse welcomings."
Harsh whispers were heard as you both walked along the corridor to the kitchen. The Doctor trailed behind you as she gazed upon the family photos that adorned the walls and seemed to be unaware of what was being said. You caught snippets of the conversation and felt your heart sink. You walked into the kitchen and the conversation ceased. You mother suddenly busied herself with making the dinner as your father refused to make eye contact with you. "Hi, dad." He grunted in acknowledgement as his gaze remained fixed on his newspaper.

"It smells delicious in here." The Doctor said from beside you. You didn't know if she sensed the tension in the room or not, but you were thankfully she was here.

You prayed that the dinner would go by quickly and without incident, but your mother had other ideas as you sat down in the dining room.

"So, this is what you meant when you said you were in a relationship with a doctor." She glanced at your joined hands from her seat across from you. "What exactly are you a doctor of?"

"Oh, everything really!" The Doctor replied with a wide smile. You felt your self sinking lower and lower in your seat as she told your mother all the things she was the Doctor of. You squeezed her hand in a warning to stop, but she seemed oblivious. Despite your growing anxiety about the situation, you couldn't fight the smile on your face as you listened to your girlfriend's ramblings.
"... and of course I can't forget spoons!"

"I see. Are you also the doctor of lies, deceit and sin?"

The Doctor frowned. "I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean."

"You know perfectly well what I mean. What have you done to my daughter?"

"Mum, don't -"

"Hush, dear. My daughter and I have always had a very close relationship. She used to tell me everything, until you came into her life. You have corrupted her. I suppose I wouldn't mind as much if you were of a different nature."

The Doctor scrunched her nose in confusion, not fully understanding what your mother was implying.

"So, this what it's all about? You can't handle the fact that I'm in a relationship with someone of the same gender? I thought you understood. Dad? Are you going to let her speak for the both of you?" He remained silent. Tears appeared your eyes as he got up and left the room. You refused to cry in front of your mother and brushed them away quickly.

"Look what you've done. You've upset your father. Can't you see you are breaking his heart? What you are doing is unnatural." You chair flew backwards as you stood and slammed your hands on the mahogany table.

"I love her! Gender has nothing to do with that! Love is love and if you can't see that then I can't do this anymore." You grabbed the Doctor's hand and pulled her with you down the hallway. What you failed to see what the Doctor shocked expression as she tried to process your declaration.

"(Y/n) (L/n), if you go through that door, you never come back! Do you hear me? You'll be dead to me!" This caused you to pause with your knuckles turning white around the door knob. You knew what you said next would change your life forever, but she was worth it.

"Goodbye, mother." You stormed out the door and straight into the Tardis. Your hands were fists at your sides as you finally let the tears fall. Warm hands cupped your face as you stared into the Doctor' s sad eyes.

"Did I do the right thing?" You asked weakly. She didn't reply as she pulled you into a tight embrace and kissed your forehead. Maybe it wasn't the right decision or maybe it was, but what you did know was you were here with her and that's what mattered.

"I love you too." She whispered in your ear as she swayed you both softly and it was then you knew that it was all worth it.