Disappear

Disappear

Lady Margaret entered the room, looking irritated that she had been summoned by her sister. She was wearing a gown, but evidently by her hair, she had been in the process of getting ready for the day. Her cheeks were flushed, but she held her head high.

"What is it, Pamela?"

The King and Queen remained on their thrones, but Prince Alexander was gone - likely to fetch his brothers. Mia bit the inside of her cheek at the thought of seeing Prince Avery again.

Just don't get close enough for him to touch you, and you'll be fine, she promised herself.

While Margaret had been coming, a guard had quickly decoded the rest of the letter. No one had read it yet, but the new version was held in Mia's hands. She was standing to the side of the thrones, but knew that several guards had their eyes on her. After all, no one should be trusted blindly. Not even a little maid.

She may have been a thief, but she wasn't stupid enough to attack royalty. Much less when there were guards in the room.

Queen Pamela's face was impassive, showing nothing. Her elegant poise didn't falter as her hands clenched the armrests of her throne. "Read this, sister." The Queen gestured for Mia to hand over the translation.

Mia stepped forward, offering the letter. Lady Margaret's eyes narrowed when she saw her, likely recognizing her from the night before. If anything, there was a mild flash of surprise in her dark eyes. Nonetheless,  Lady Margaret took the letter, and her face faltered as she read the first line.

"Aloud." The King instructed. The woman almost flinched.

Lady Margaret swallowed and began reading the letter.

"'To my dear,

It's going perfectly. Pamela knows nothing. I was able to get the will, and changed it with her signature. I am now the sole beneficiary of her untimely death, along with her husband's and her son's.

You still need to get that deal done. Pamela will be leaving on a trip on the third of the next month. Your window is then, as their security will be faltering.

The other children won't cause a problem, and if they do, I'll take care of it. Get your part done and I'll do mine.

Meet you in our Kingdom - M.B.'"

Both the King and Queen looked at Mia. Mia had sensed each word was true, save for one thing. Her magic was singing the truth, and she barely kept her smirk off of her face. 

Her promised gold as as good as hers.

"It's the truth, except for one part. There is no intention of 'our Kingdom'. The receiver will not be King of the stolen Kingdom if Lady Margaret has anything to say about it."

The King nodded, solemn, but Queen Pamela looked heartbroken. Her hands tightened on her throne, eyes narrowing dangerously. 

"What?" 

A voice snapped angrily to the side of Mia. She turned her head to see all four princes present. Asher had spoken harshly. All of them looked livid and hurt, and the eldest had even drawn a sword warily.

Prince Avery was still watching her. Mia swallowed and faced Lady Margaret. She could still feel his gaze.

"You're trying to take over the Kingdom?" Prince Asher bit out.

Margaret spluttered, "Of course not! I would never-"

"Then tell us why magic just deemed that letter as truth," The King thundered, rising to his feet. Evidently, the threat against his wife, his children, and himself had been taken to heart.