Powers Revealed

The morning greeted Hodaka in a warm and friendly light. He sent a simple message to his mother, which read: "Ojii-chan just celebrated his birthday. Wish you were here," and got up from bed to get dressed. After packing all of his clothes and his traditional attire, he went over to the hallway and knocked on Ojiisan's door.

"Enter," came the quiet voice.

Hodaka stepped through the door. His walk to his grandfather's bed was brave and straightly-structured. He sat down on the chair; his mind having already chosen the right words.

"I want to thank you again, Ojii-chan for your hospitality. If you understand how much I need to meet my train...I think it would be best if I left right now before saying."

"But before you go," Ojiisan said. "I have a great deal to say to you. I'm sure your mother would want me to tell you this. I am in good health, considering my age, but it is not likely in simple mathematics that I will live much longer. I am asking you, my grandchild, to stay with me for the time I have left."

Hodaka started to speak, but the old man raised one thin hand to stop him. "I haven't finished," he said. "I do not appeal to your sense of family duty, even though I know that you have acted responsibly toward the needs of your aunt and uncle during your visit here. I am prepared to make you a fair offer, even a generous one. If you will remain in this house as its chatelaine and see to my comforts and conform with my wishes, you will inherit my entire estate when I die. It is not inconsiderable."

Hodaka was dumbfounded. He was offering him a fortune! He thought what his mother would think of it, and wondered just how much his grandfather was worth.

"How much money are we talking?"

"Five million yen at most. With it, you can find a suitable wife, buy gifts to shower her and maybe even a new home to start your own family...just like what your mother did when she ran off with your father."

Hodaka had his doubts.

"After the way I've seen you act towards my aunt and uncle, I'm beginning to see why she wanted to go to Kozushima with Otousan."

"They are younger, but they lack the discipline that made this family the most respected in all of Numazu."

Or the least respected given your attitude.

After a silent six seconds, Hodaka made his answer.

"I'm sorry, Ojii-chan, but I don't think I am ready for your inheritance. You could however, ask Uncle Tombo and Aunt Paka if they would like it...if you were nicer to them."

"That will be for me to decide. As you are much younger than them, it would wiser if my estate was handled by someone much younger and more responsible in my family line."

"Regardless of how responsible I was back on that island, it's my choice to make, Ojii-chan, not yours. Besides, there are far more important things in life than money."

He walked quickly to the door and pulled it open.

Walking back to his room, Hodaka took one more look at himself in the mirror, combing his hair back to look nice and neat for the farewells he intending to give unto his Morishima cousins and uncles. After putting the brush down, Hodaka smoothed his cheeks which had completely healed from the slap he suffered at his father's hand and whatever injuries he might have gotten from the boat ride with Hina on the night of the ball. Then he took a closer glance at his own face, squinting...

His face and his entire body had mentally transformed back into his sixteen year old self, with three bandages festooned if not plastered against the middle of his face, scruffy hair and overall stature that made folks perceive him as a homeless boy without a friend in the world or a family to turn to.