Fang-Lin's True Colors

Fang-Lin found Hodaka outside his door that afternoon. Hodaka was wearing his street clothes and raincoat, looking out of place in this establishment of class and wealth.

"How surprising of you to come here, Hodaka," he said. "How may I ask did you manage to find my abode?"

"A lot of people in town seem to know where you live," Hodaka said, with honeyed sweetness. "I just pieced the information together before I found a more conclusive address from somebody close by. I think he was a repair man."

Fang-Lin raised his eyebrows. "It seems to me that you took quite the trouble of looking for me," he said. "Would you like to discuss things more over a drink?"

"Sure, I would like that."

Hodaka and Fang-Lin rode to a restaurant the Beijing Country Golf Club in his car and settled for two drinks. Some of the patrons there were familiar with Fang-Lin, for he was notorious throughout political side of China and this was one of his favorite hideaways from the public eye. Hodaka was quick to learn that he possessed one of the greatest fortunes in China, owned properties in Shanghai and Hong Kong as well as his estate in Beijing. He had been the favored target of matchmaking parents for over twenty years, ever since he had inherited his wealth at the age of eighteen, but he had escaped capture by anyone, even several noted beauties with fortunes of their own. There were whispered stories about broken hearts, shattered reputations, even suicides. And more than one wife had met him in the years of his younger days. Aside from others, some of his own family thinking that he was immoral, cruel, dangerous, and perhaps even evil, Fang-Lin was the most mysterious and fascinating man in the world.

Hodaka imagined the sensation it would cause if a Japanese widow in her thirties succeeded where all the titled Chinese concubines had failed.

Fang-Lin showed none of the signs of a man desperately in love. Even though he looked very kind, he intended to possess women, not marry them.

His eyes narrowed. I think he needs someone else besides a wife. A surrogate son perhaps? After all, he's a lot richer than my dad.

But he couldn't help wondering what it would be like to be his apprentice of a sort.

At last, Fang-Lin noticed.

"You don't seem to be your usual self, Hodaka. Any troubles at home?"

"None whatsoever. It's just thing like homework and real work itself."

"If you stayed with me, you'd never have to work again...or at least on occasion so that you can earn your keep."

"Me?" Hodaka just beamed. "You're offering me to stay?"

"Sure. It seems to me that your heart is not in the right place, and I say that your home is here."

He drained his glass.

"As the rain god of South Korea, the home of my nephew, you could say that you need a different sense of geography. It would be beneficial for you to get away from your troubles. There is question at all for you to live with me. And when summer comes, we can go back to South Korea if you like."

Back at Hina's residence, Aito popped in, looking troubled. Hina, who was rocking Sora to sleep in a cradle, was bearing a puzzled face.

"Aito, what are you doing here?"

"I came to see you, Hina. I just spoke with my parents, I told them all about you and...they don't think you're the right girl for me. I even told them that Sora was legally my child and that I slept with you.... then again, there are nights where you can't seem to sleep."