Learning 'Love'

"Clem?"

"What is it, goofball?"

"Have you ever loved someone?"

My brows furrow. "Well.., Define 'love'."

AJ pauses. I can see him fidgeting with his revolver from across the room. "I don't really know- that's why I'm asking you."

I smile. "Come here." I pat at a space on the bed beside me.

He grins and walks over. I wrap an arm around his shoulders. "Love is complicated, AJ. It can be between friends, lovers, family... the list goes on." I bite the inside of my cheek, counting the cracks in the ceiling. "I've only loved a few people."

"Like who?"

I let out a soft sigh. "I loved Lee. And I loved Jane- she took care of me for a long time." I smile, turning my hand so that he could see the little tattoo of his initials on the place where my thumb and hand meet. "She was the one who gave me this tattoo."

"I like it."

"I loved my parents, too." My chest aches at the thought of what my life was before there were walkers. The memories were beginning to fade, but some were embedded deep in my head. I touch my hat subconsciously- the last gift that my father gave me.

I think back on what happened after Lee's death. How Luke took me under his wing. How Kenny wanted to protect me and AJ no matter what. How kind and soft Alvin was. "I loved a lot of people, AJ. Some like family, and some like good friends. The people I've met... they're the reason we're here. I wouldn't of survived without them."

AJ nods, but there was still a hint of confusion etched across his face. "What about Gabe?"

I laugh. "We didn't get close enough to love each other. I did like him though."

For a few minutes, we sit in a comfortable silence, listening to the birds chirp and watching the afternoon glow seep through the boarded windows.

"Do you think Marlon and Brody loved Minnie and Sophie?"

I close my eyes, recalling the events that unfolded in the basement.

I close the basement door behind me, making my way towards the boiler where two figures were arguing loudly. I recognize both voices instantly: Marlon and Brody.

"We have to tell them! About Minnie and Sophie!" Brody says in a panicked whisper, loud enough so that I can hear.

"We don't have to tell them shit," replies Marlon. I can see his clenched fists through the shelves. "Goddamnit, Brody, keep it together!"

"Keep it together? Keep it together?" Brody scoffs. She starts pacing. "We have to! They saw one of the raiders back at the train station! We have no choice!"

I position myself behind a shelf to hear better, heart pounding in anticipation of what Marlon was going to do next in response to Brody. I never knew Marlon was capable of anything like this- nor Brody.

"Who's there?"

Shit.

Marlon shines the flashlight on my face. "Clementine? What are you doing down here?" Despite the bright light, I can make out Brody's horrified expression.

I glare at them.

"We were just talking," states Marlon, in an attempt to excuse everything that I had just heard. Brody looks as if she was about to say something. Marlon could seemingly sense this too, so he steps in front of her.