CH 5.5 One is a Bird

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Finals are so close. I can almost taste the sweet bitterness of failure. I wrote this little short chapter as a thank you to everyone who favourited, followed, and read. And it was kinda also a stress reliever for me so..

... In the laughter that fills the air,

I hear your voice

In the orange that streaks the sunset,

I see your hair

In the twinkling stars in the sky,

I see your freckles

And whenever I close my eyes,

I see your face ...

He stopped writing and looked up from the poetry filled paper. There was a burning sensation on the back of his neck as he stretched. Years of writing and his neck still aches from looking down. He checked the clock that hung on his bedroom wall. 11:32. Almost exactly two hours ago, there were empty papers sitting in front of him, eager to be written on.

It's been about a year since he and Greg found themselves lost in the Unknown. It had been a dangerous journey for both the troublesome brothers as they constantly bumped into the creepy and mysterious inhabitants that called the Unknown their home.

He sighed. It's almost been a year and Wirt hasn't stopped thinking about a certain little bluebird.. well a human bluebird now. He couldn't stop thinking about the way her lips curled a bit whenever she smiled or how her freckles seemed to glisten every time she laughed. Or how tough she acted in the outside, but deep down she actually cared a lot.

He closed his eyes and rubbed his temples, trying his best to just stop thinking about her. But alas, the poor boy did not succeed. He turned his desk lamp off and decided to call it a night. He crashed onto his bed and wrapped himself in thick blankets. He shut his eyes and tried his best to fall asleep.

"Pushover..." said the voice in his head. He frowned and rolled over

"Stubborn jerk..." He groaned as he turned over again.

" ... Goodbye, Wirt.." he suddenly sat up and smacked his forehead. He sighed and rolled out of bed. He covered his face with his hands, "Why." The redhead was driving him insane. He stood up and decided to go for a walk outside to try and calm himself down.

Knowing his bedroom door would make lots of noise when he opened it, he slowly twisted the doorknob and pushed gently, cringing at the slight squeaks it made. Sighing in relief, he closed it softly and tiptoed across the hallway, down the stairs. He made his way to the coat rack and grabbed his coat, but before he could put it on, a tired voice made him jump.

"Wirt..?" he turned around and saw a sleepy Greg, rubbing his eye.

"Greg, go back to bed," Wirt commanded.

"But where are you going?" Greg asked, yawning.

"Just.. out for a walk okay? I'll be back in an hour," Wirt reassured his as he slipped his arm through one of the coat sleeves.

Greg walked over to his brother and gave his leg a hug, "Don't go back to the forest without me, okay?"

Wirt smiled softly and gave his little brother a hug back, "I won't."

"Promise?" Greg said, looking up at him.

"I promise. Now, go back to bed."
---
The moon shone brightly up in the sky as Wirt walked down the street of his neighbourhood that had many houses decorated with Halloween props. A gentle breeze blew past him, but despite wearing his coat, he still shivered underneath. He turned a familiar corner and found himself in front of the cemetery entrance. He took a deep breath and walked in. Somehow, the creepy and sad atmosphere allowed him to relax a bit. He read tombstones as he walked past them and tried to imagine what those people looked like when they were once alive. These thoughts helped distract himself from Beatrice... up until he had reached the exact same wall he and Greg jumped over about a year before.

Dammit... he cursed as the thought of the bluebird came back into his mind. Something in his mind made him itch to just jump over it once more and try to find his way back. And so, he climbed the familiar tree and sat on top of the familiar stone wall. He then remembered his promise he made to Greg and decided against jumping over. Instead, he sat there and looked at the forest that was once a death trap to him and his brother. He sighed. He suddenly heard a flapping of wings and rustling of leaves in one of the trees. And then a familiar chirp.

Even without being there physically, she still drove him insane.

A/N:

I'm so terrible at poetry. I meant to post this yesterday, but I never had the time. Sorry this was so short ; - ;)