Much more amenable

"You know what?" she said, as she perused the menu.

"What?"

She put the menu down, and looked up at him. "This is the first time we've eaten out, just the two of us."

He looked as if he was pondering this for a moment. "Oh. Oh crap. It is, isn't it?"

She giggled at his horror-struck expression. "Is that a problem? I mean, were you hoping to go through our entire married life without ever taking me out for dinner?"

He covered his face, clearly ashamed of himself. "Ouch," she heard him mutter through his fingers. "That stings."

"Babe, don't worry." She pulled one of his hands away from his face, revealing one staring blue eye. "It's not like we've really had the opportunity, is it? We did squeeze that cinema date in, that one time..."

"Ahem, yeah... that was... fun..."

"Yeah. But remind me never to go to the cinema with a sex-starved date again. Could be embarrassing next time."

"As if you'd ever allow that to happen now.."

"And think of all the other fun things we have done."

He released his other hand, his expression gooey. "Hmm. I'm thinking."

"So, here's to our first romantic meal at a fancy restaurant!" She leaned over to kiss him gently, then turned her attention back to the menu. "So, decided what you're having?"

He was grinning. "Oh, yeah. I've decided."

At that, the waitress came over. "Hello, I'll be your waitress this evening, are you ready to order?"

Jen watched him look at her in amusement, then he turned his attention to their attendant. "Waitress, steaks for the table!" He tapped the table vigorously afterwards.

Jen tried her hardest not to laugh for the sake of the confused waitress, who was looking a little bemused. "I'm so sorry. He always does this."

"Okay.. what sort of steak would you like for the table, sir...?"

He leapt up. "Now we're talking! Hey, this one is much more amenable than the last one...."

Jen raised her eyebrows. "I think you'll find her tolerance levels for you flicking peas at her will be much less than mine was. Also, she's 100% less likely to go back to Cordonia with you and then marry you."

He raised his hands, laughing. "Okay, okay. You got me. Well, I'm hoping you've got New York strip steaks here.."

"Of course, sir. And for you, madam?"

"Whatever he's having," Jen said with a giggle.