10. The Hotline that Ruined My Life

I wake up incredibly warm, surrounded by Aarons arms. I have no idea if hes awake, but as he nuzzles into my hair and sighs contentedly, I am beyond happy.

That happiness is a short spark that fizzles quickly, for the sunlight gleaming around the curtains feels like a curse, a sign that our night is over. I feel traitorous. Id agreed to Aarons terms, but now I want more. Something changed when we entered that contest. Aaron slipped into my life so easily its as if hes always been there.

I cant do a relationship right now, hed said. And I get it. Its been less than a week since he lost his brother. Id been a mess for months after my parents died, but him? He hides it so well. I dont know how he does it, how he doesnt smash more than one paltry mug. Yet here he is, lying calmly around me, as if the world is as it should be.

Its not. Not mine, not his.

His hand sweeps across my belly, leaving a trail of tingles that Ill remember for the rest of the day. The warmth of him shifts away, and I grab his arm before he can rise from the bed.

He peers back at me, eyes distant, shoulders tensed. You shouldnt look at me like that.

Like what?

What youre thinking, its not a good idea.

I bet hed be packing his bags if he knew what I was thinking.

Aaron sits on the edge of the bed, somber. I cant give you anything else.

Not even one last kiss?

He is silent.

Ive asked too much.

The mattress shifts and his breath sweeps over my cheek. As Aaron leans over me, his hazel eyes are heated and his mouth is almost upon mine when he pulls back. No.

But its one simple kiss.

You dont understand, do you?

I do, I answer honestly. You wanted the one night, and now its over. Its what we agreed to. I just need it to feelfinished.

He sits on my hips, straddling me, possibly unaware that he is completely naked—magnificent—because he scrunches his hair almost painfully. One more kiss like last night and it will only be the beginning.

The beginning?

One more kiss and Im going to regret it.

My jaw drops and I go to push him away, but he leans over me, his hair falling around my face. Eve, its only been three days and were already bandmates and housemates. Thats more than Ive committed to with a girl in my whole life. He sighs. Frankly, the past week has been miserable, with the exception being you. Id like to hold onto that for a while longer, before I screw that up as well.

Okay, I whisper.

I wait for him to leave the room before I ready myself for work. I feel disconnected, like Ive screwed up everything. I had to ask for one last kiss! I should have known better.

Walking out into the living room, I wasnt sure what to expect, but it wasnt a mug of coffee—our last remaining mug—passed to me by Aaron, finally dressed in a hoodie and jeans.

I see the time and choke on my coffee. Work starts in ten minutes!

Im doomed! I say, splashing coffee down my sleeve.

Let me guessthe apocalypse is coming and nobody told me.

Close. Im late!

You are, he says, then lazily bites into his cheese toast and passes it to me. I gobble it down in seconds, starving after last nights activities, which given the conversation several minutes ago might never happen again. Correction—will never happen again. But Aaron knows exactly the right thing to say to make it impossible to forget him, Ill stop by later for lunch, let you know how were polling.