There Was Some Stardust...

Mac POV

I felt something wet as I slowly opened my eyes. A pair of bright violet eyes glimmered as they looked into mine, as the creature with the small furry face licked his lips.

"You're back, huh? And..." I whiped the saliva from my face,"I guess you like me now". I tried to sit up but bumped my head on the roof of the hollow. "OW. Stupid tree..."

"The tree did nothing wrong. You are the stupid one". The wolf said in his mind. I glared at him. "I didn't ask for your opinion". I crawled out of the hollow. "And what, you couldn't find that owner of your's"?

"No. I know where she is, but I wanted to come back for you". 

"Did you feel sorry for me or something? Because I don't need your sympathy".

"The only human I care about is my mistress. I came here because it's only after I was gone that I realised there was something strange about you. I had to find out what it was".

"Well, for your information I am someone from another world which is why I probably seem strange to you". I dusted myself off as I stood up, and stretched a little. 

"That might be the reason. But I think I should take you to my mistress".

"What the heck, no. I have a very important job to do, little wolf, and I have no time to lose. Now you'll either help me or go your way". I started walking. He padded after me.

"You and my mistress are connected in some way. I do not know how. Something is telling me to take you to her". 

"Oh really? What's she like"?

"She is my mistress".

"I figured that. Tell me about her".

"I cannot".

"Why's that"?

"Because I do not want to".

"And yet I should go to her. Not happening. I can't trust anyone here. I had to figure that out the hard way".

"I feel she can help you".

"Well I don't. I can't partner up with people here. This world is crazy. I just need to kill that damn Mother. And then I'm going to find my friends".

The wolf said nothing for awhile as we continued walking. Then suddenly he stopped.

"What is it"? I asked.

He sniffed the air. "Danger". He replied. I reached for my sword, ready to take it from its sheath. I looked around. I couldn't see anything, but I heard the scuttling in the grass close by.

It was all around us. "Who's there? Show yourself". I demanded loudly, glad that I finally got to say my favourite pickup line from movies.

The scuttling sound came closer. It sounded like millions of creatures coming towards me. Just that I couldn't see them.

Then finally, they came into sight. I noticed the grass turning black, and the colour closing in around us. It was only then that I realised it wasn't the colour of the grass...it was bugs.

Millions and millions of black bugs.

I jumped up onto a tree bark, and quickly started to climb. The wolf was close behind me. "What are they"? I screeched as we clambered onto a branch.

"Urchin beetles. If they touch you, you'll get the urchin disease and die instantly. They may be small but they feed off the flesh of their infected victims". The wolf replied, shocking me with his calmness.