Chapter One

Divorce is a tricky thing. You think it'll be as simple as going to the fucktard you're married to and saying, "I'm done with your shit get your crap and leave." But it's not. There are lawyers and court dates not to mention the awkwardness and arguments. The glamorous speedy divorces we see on TV are nothing like the real thing.

The credits roll as 48 Hours on ID goes off for the umpteenth time today. I've been glued to my parents' old beat up camel colored sofa in the basement since I dropped the kids off at school this morning. Playing with one of the many cracks in the leather, my mind immediately compares them to the cracks in my marriage that I'm attempting to end. I still remember the look on Dave's face when I told him I wanted a divorce.

My car engine died down leaving the quiet of the street to greet me as I stepped out of my car. After club hopping with Nicole all night every step felt like walking on hot coals, forcing me to take my shoes off before moving another inch.

I walked into the house fully expecting disarray. The kids not in bed, a babysitter way too young to be watching anyone's kid because they're one themselves yapping on her phone and Dave nowhere to be found. It wouldn't be the first time it happened so I readied myself for the argument we'd have once he got back. Much to my surprise though, I walked into a quiet home. A trip up the stairs and a couple of peeks into the kid's bedrooms let me know that they were tucked in and already sleeping. Slightly impressed, I walked to the bedroom I shared with Dave fully expecting him to be asleep but instead I found him wide awake and staring at me. It's as if he'd been there all night just watching the door, waiting for me.

"Oh! Umm...hi...how was your night?" I asked awkwardly. I was still a little drunk and hoping he didn't want to fight.

"My night was just dandy." His response was cheerful enough but his voice held an edge I couldn't match to an emotion.

Instead of responding at all I walked to my dresser and grabbed clothes before making my way to the bathroom to shower and change. I could feel his eyes on me until I closed the door.

"You aren't going to tell me where you've been tonight?" Dave's voice broke through my subconscious threatening to ruin my sleep.

"We can talk about this in the morning David," I mumbled trying not to raise my voice to a level that would interrupt my body's sleepy state.

I felt him sit up in bed and internally groaned.

"It is the morning Aria. In fact it's five in the morning, the time I'm usually heading out to work. And you're just getting in what? An hour ago?" he griped, that emotion from earlier back in his voice.

I sighed and sat up too resigning that I wouldn't get any sleep right now if he had anything to say about it.

"What do you want from me Dave? What's done is done. If you're so concerned about missing work get your ass up and go. Nobody's stopping you," I waved dismissively towards the door hoping to piss him off enough that he'd leave me to sleep off my liquor in peace.

"I'm not going anywhere. You're my wife and I deserve to know what's going on with you," he countered and it sparked something in me.

"Oh fuck off," I spat, "Now I'm your wife all of a sudden. Wasn't I your wife when you were banging your secretary every which way just a day ago? Or how about when you disrespected me and made me feel like I was the smallest speck of dirt on your otherwise pristine life? Yes, I was. But being your wife didn't matter as long as you got what you wanted. Now what I want is what's important and I want a divorce."