2

North Korea watered The Sanctuary's flowers. As the building's guardian, he has to take care of it. It was the least he could do for America; she did save him, after all.

None of his siblings were present, neither was Italy and other areas that were hit hard with the virus. Canada will probably fill in for her sister. As the next superpower, she needs to be there when America isn't around.

The doors opened, and as North guessed, Maddie Williams walked through its doors. Everyone looked at her, expecting an answer. The elder twin shook her head, confirming Amelia's absence. The crowd went back to anxious chatter as Maddie went to curl up in a dark corner, wanting nothing but silence.

Russia's fiddling with his scarf, England keeps searching his spell book, France can't stop fidgeting in her seat, the Nordics actually shut up--it was a disaster. Most of the countries weren't even there--they were too busy running for their lives.

Everyone stole glances at the news headlines, too anxious to focus. Amelia appeared in almost every channel, distracting the forces of nations so the personifications have time to run. Her face was plastered on every screen, her name escaping the mouths of hundreds of reporters in every language spoken.

Amelia Freedom Jones: personification of the United States of America.

Right now she was holding a gun to Italy's soldiers, Italy herself sprawled behind her, clutching a probably broken leg. Her brown hair was down, spilling in messy curls that haven't been brushed in days, even weeks.

Amelia's mouth was moving, most likely talking to Felicia in Italian. Italy was nodding, taking America's words to heart. The ground shook, knocking the troops off their feet as Italy winced, grabbing her leg with both hands. The blonde slowly backed up, eyeing the soldiers suspiciously as she put her gun away. America headed over to Italy, picking her up carefully as to not hurt her more. (Google Translate ahead T-T. Sorry!)

"Ehi! Cosa pensi di fare?!" One of the people shouted, struggling to get up. America glared at him, the stars in her eyes exploding into rage-fueled fire. The black hole that was her pupil seemed darker, more threatening. The man stuttered, struggling to regain his lost courage.

America scoffed. "È quello che pensavo." She turned around, kneeling on one knee. Her wings revealed themselves, to the shock of everyone. America launched herself into the air, creating a small crater from the force. Citizens stared in terror and awe, dumbfounded at the sight of their country being carried by an--angle? The superpower? Another country? Whatever was carrying Felicia, she was beautiful.

A gunshot resounded through the empty street, a small spot of blood staining America's silver wings. The blonde stumbled, but quickly regained her balance. Her mouth shaped itself into a thin line, determined not to let her pain show.

She was gone in an instant, the only trace of all of it being real being the bloody, moonlit feathers that drifted down from the air.

* * * * * * *

Some of the nations that were missing came, the others either captured, on their way, or refusing to come. Amelia had rescued as many as she could, hiding the ones that won't come Home.

The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. It was uncomfortably hot and stuffy; no one dared to make a sound, holding their breath every time America faced a nation's military. She had to escape--she was the only one that wasn't confined to her borders--she has to escape.

North Korea can't help but think of his opinion of the American before she broke him out. He used to think she was pure evil, nothing but simple-minded weakling that has bark but no bite and how he was far superior.

How foolish. He thought to himself. That bastard switched our roles! He clenched his fist, pure anger and hatred filling him. He's brainwashing them all! He imprisons both the criminal, his son, and his grandson while the great-grandson goes free! Why punish all three generations when only one is guilty?

His head perked up. Silence. Complete utter silence. A pit of dread pooled in his stomach. His coal-black eyes wouldn't look at the TV. He can already hear the report.

"And--is she doing what I think she is? She's walking towards the White House--just what is she planning?" No. This can't be happening.

"America seems to be taking her time. L-look at her eyes! They're completely blank!" He already knows what it looks like. Just a dot of flat color. No shades, no pretty patterns. Just solid color with no pupil.

"And she's taking her gun ou--and threw it to the side! What happened to her?" Please don't give up now.

"Wait, she's raising her hands--? Is America surrendering? In all of her history, is she finally giving up?"

North could hear her be put in chains, can see her do as she was asked. No cry of defiance, no fight. Just plain obedience. The Korean could sense the disturbed shock of the others.

Hers were the eyes of a dead country.