Number Fifteen. Taken

FIVE YEARS, THREE MONTHS SINCE:

The cold fear that roams my body freely, distracts me from any plans that I could've possibly had and sends me back into a storm of thoughts that come with the paranoia of Theo not being here.

He promised it was a 48-hour mission at the most, that it was the last one and I don't believe he would lie to me, but we are coming up to fifty hours and I haven't heard a word. His line of work is infinitely dangerous, and I know his crew, they are smart and talented, but they can't fight off everyone and they certainly won't win every time.

My body shakes as the tears fall down my cheeks, the phone trembles in my hand as I text Dan to bring the car around front. I stuff my stiff arms into the black leather jacket and tuck the gun I keep in my dresser into the inside pocket.

I opt to leave the heeled boots behind, if we have to run them, I am not going to disable us from going as fast as we can, especially if things are as bad as I am imagining them to be.

"Mrs. Newland, how can I assist you tonight?" Dan asks was I slide into the back of our Range Rover, trying time hide the worried expression on my face, I speak with the most authority I can muster.

"Take me to where you dropped Theo off"

"Mrs. Newland, is this wise? Theo advised me against this"

"He always advises you against things, but this time I need you to just take me there. I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important"

"I understand. We will arrive in forty-seven minutes" He informs, and I slump back in the car, my heart beating erratically in my chest, filling my head with the loud beating.

I swipe my sweaty hands over my dark blue jeans repeatedly, maybe I should've changed into some darker clothes, but I am without time. Besides, these jeans are replaceable, and I doubt I will be able to or will want to wear them after the possibilities of tonight.

"There is a house, I am not sure how far up, but this is as far as Mr. Newland let me bring him"

"Thank you, Dan I will be in contact"

"Of course," He nods, I give him a solemn look before opening the door "Wren, I know it may not be much help, but I do believe you will find him"

His words ring in my head as I make my way silently down the wooded road, my fingers are shaking, and I have to dig deep to find the power to stop them. A striking thought stops that, what the fuck do I intend on doing? I don't have a plan and that's crucial when walking into something you are entirely unprepared for.

Carter's old words resurface in my mind and I have to resist the shudder that penetrates my psyche and then my body.

When faced with something unfamiliar, you must always use your element of surprise.

Theo said that the mission was subjectively easy and opposing gang had been trying to move hostages across the states, intercept and eliminate.

In a mission that was bound to fail, if the objective was a cover for their kidnapping means that their guard will be lowered in the time between them arriving and being held and when there transport arrives.

I am unexpected, if anything they are waiting for a group of bold men with big guns to rock up and even then, a hostage deal as a smoke screen will leave little security. The less witnesses to a massacre the better, it means less people to pay off.

A dark looming house that reminds me vaguely of the vacation house my family died in enters my line of vision. I notice the man standing at the door, his arms are crossed over his chest and he has a bound Lewis at his feet.