Number Seven. Dark Nights

There isn't anything surprising about him leaving but the hurts that settles within my heart is unmissable, in the midst of the danger and the threat that reached him, his town and me. He had me convinced he would stay and protect us, with talks of being better than he was before, it's all just pure bullshit.

He didn't, he left as he always does and ever since that guy tries to touch me, he's been just around the corner or lurking behind me at all times. The realisation that he isn't watching over me is a cold one, an ice bath of reality, a deliverance of neglect.

After all this time of him claiming to be here for me, to protect and love me no matter what, he always leaves the second a real threat is placed, and worry is planting itself in the pit of my stomach, like a weed, I can't pull out.

The town below me is calm, it's freezing this morning, so the streets are deserted and the few people that are out there are covered in big jackets, fluffy beanies and thick gloves.

It is mostly men, holding grocery bags or hurrying into their shops to turn on the heaters, they care about their family and will brace the cold for them. It seems like a simple gesture, one that would be overlocked by anyone else watching over, with Carter you would never expect such kindness.

If I was allowed outside, able to live a normal life, one where money didn't get him everything he desired, I would be the one shivering outside getting our groceries and whatever else he demands of me.

Even outside of this place he is nothing short of a monster, he's been more open but, on that walk, last week he never supplies answers to the questions that I wonder the most. Like how he got here, or why he has no reaction to death and violence, even the others can get a bit taken aback by the horrors they commit or witness.

In the case of anyone witnessing horror, it is usually because of Carter.

My mind runs over the threat once again, trying to place anyone to it but I cannot, perhaps it's my lack of knowledge in the enemy department, but they have to be after me, or at the very least think I am the key to Carter. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think he would let me die, maybe that's a fantasy.

I can't tell anymore; everything is blending together in a blur of colours that I don't recognise. It must have been someone from inside the building, people that are here often enough to know about me and have been wronged by Carter. Perhaps they're bored and want to take down his kingdom, even though it will be futile, I've never seen him lose anything.

A large clang echoes from outside my steel front door, and my legs move absentmindedly from the window towards the door. The sound is definitely outside my door, and the next time it happens but this time it reverberates around the room and the door falters as I run to our bedroom.

I stand no chance against these intruders and even though Carter is not the man I want him to be, he is still the man in my life I look for. The one who has promised me safety and love since the moment I met him, and I'll be damned if I don't put my faith in him at least once.

My hand slams down on the red panic button that is hidden behind my bedside table as the door is broken open, there's four men, three of them with guns, my body reacts before my mind has time to process what's happened.

Carter will be in the air, if the intruders have gotten this far than there has to be more of them, there is literally nothing that I can do right now to save myself. My legs carry me towards the bedroom, but a strong pair of arms wrap around my torso before I can close the door behind me.

My legs immediately kick off the ground as I struggle in his grasp, but no scream breaches my lift. I know what would happen when you scream and I've been gagged enough for a lifetime, so through my struggling, I keep quiet, my body slammed onto the bed. As the man holds me down with his body weight, tying my hands behind my back.