Chapter 64

Rhaegar

"I am so sick of Robert and his impudence," the king's voice echoed against the high rafters of the throne room of the Red Keep. "Damn him and his Stormlords."

Seated on the high steps beneath the Iron Throne, Rhaegar could feel a growing tightness in his neck. The last raven that flew to the Red Keep also brought ill news as it has been for the past couple of moons. The letter from Andrew Stark was still fresh in Rhaegar's memory. Before he could deal with Stark and his northman another raven came in today, this time bearing news of the Stormlands and Robert.

Like he had expected, Robert finally raised his hammer against him and his house. As he fell upon Griffin's Roost with an army of traitors to finally thwart the last block in his path and rouse against him with his treacherous friends. Thousands of his men were butchered and Ronald Connington has yielded the castle to Robert Baratheon, giving his cousin a chance to march forth north to join with his precious Ned's son.

First Stark, now Robert, how many traitors should I have to deal with before I could fulfill my destiny. Somehow he knew that it is not going to stop with just the two of them. For all he knew, Jon Arryn could very well be bringing the knights of the Vale down the High road and the Old Lion is probably plotting along with them from the shadows.

His family and advisors stood at the foot of his throne, looking all sullen and afraid at the dragon's wroth. Ser Gerold and Ser Barristan were with him as well, their hard, old faces emotionless.

"Jon!" The king called his Hand. Lord Jon knelt at the base of the throne.

"I thought you had the Stormlands under your control," the king said. "If that's the case, how did I come to hear that Robert raised the Stormlords against my family?"

"Your Grace, I know naught of the plots Robert and his allies devised against you. Had I known, I would have brought their heads to you myself. Even now it hasn't gotten long, grant me leave to march against Robert and Stark and all those traitors, my king, and you'll have their heads mounted on a spike in no time."

"I need you here in King's Landing, not in some muddy pit," Rhaegar said and took his crown off his head. Of late the ruby encrusted circlet was more of an uncomfortable weight atop his head than a crown fit for a king.

"Richard," Rhaegar called, "take the host in King's Landing and march north for the Trident. Myles will join with you in Maidenpool. Hold the river and smash any army that try to pass it to get to Riverrun."

"Father," said a voice from below. Aegon climbed the steps to the throne and stopped at a few steps below him. "You think little of me during these times, father. But I'm to inherit these lands. Its time I showed you that I'm worthy enough of being your heir. Let me fight this battle for you."

Rhaegar chuckled despite the horror coiling around his throat. He was only sixteen, not even a man grown and was already speaking of wars as if it was some tourney he could ride in and win the love of the people. Rhaegar had already lost three children, two for the greater good and one because he was too much like his brother was now.

"What would you do son?" asked Rhaegar.

"Raise our dragon banner," answered his son, "and march forth against the north as you once done."

"Aegon!" Lyanna shrieked from behind. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking with the right mind mother." Aegon turned back and looked pointedly at her face. "He dared cross our family and threatened father. What happened to Jaehaerys is an injustice done to him and our family and it is my duty to protect my brother and serve my family and guard the honour of our house against anyone who tries to hinder it."