21. Distance

HYUNJIN'S POV

I lay down on my bed after dinner with Jeongin and stared at the ceiling. I sighed and covered my eyes with my right arm. It's difficult, this is difficult, but I suppose it's better.

I saw Yeona for the first time in a week today. I couldn't take my eyes off her since she walked into the room. I wanted to hug her as tightly as I could and apologize, but I couldn't. I really miss her.

I glanced at her from time to time, and Jisung caught me staring at her. He thought I had malicious intentions toward her; seriously, what kind of brain does he have? Yeona seemed fine today, so I guess she wasn't bothered by the fact that I wasn't interacting with her.

Today, Yuji ate without Yeona. I'm curious where she is. I excused myself to Jisung, saying I had a stomach ache and needed to find Yeona. I ran around the school looking for her until I found her at the back. together with Chan Yeona was leaning against the wall, and Chan was close by, his head resting on Yeona's shoulder.

I'm in pain, sad, and envious. I was tempted to intervene, but I decided against it. I reasoned that I should just go about my business. I walked away, straight to the rooftop, and cried my heart out. I wanted to be with her, regardless of the distance.

I tried to distract myself with the lectures as the class progressed. Before Yeona could catch up with me, I went home first. I was walking around our neighborhood and I'd never felt so lonely before. I was used to going home alone, but thanks to Yeona, I became comfortable with hearing her stories, jokes, and laughter before I arrived, and I craved it.

I went to the nearest convenience store earlier to get our dinner. Yeona and Chan were sitting on the bench when I noticed them. I knew I should leave so it would be easier on me, but I didn't. Instead, I stood there for a few minutes and just stared at them. They appeared to be content and at ease with each other. Yeona appeared to be happier with him than with me. I guess I should just avoid Yeona, as Chan advised a week ago.

*****
1 week ago

I was about to start cooking for Jeongin when I received another text. I assumed it was from Yeona, but it was actually from Chan. I went to the cafe where Chan had requested a meeting. Perhaps we'll discuss what happened at the airport.

Chan arrived, and he appeared cold, unlike the Chan I had met and spent almost three weeks with. We remained silent for a few moments before he spoke up.

"I invited you to meet today because, first and foremost, I wanted to apologize for what happened at the airport," he explained.

"No, it's okay; I guess I'd been too annoying, and maybe you were just too tired, which is why you were so sensitive that day," I said as I sipped my cold coffee.

"No, there was a reason," he said, and I just stared at him, anticipating.

"What is it?" I questioned.

"I like Yeona," he replied after a couple of seconds. I just stared at him, taking in everything he said. I was nervous, sad, and a little angry. I said nothing because I didn't know how to respond.

"That's why I got mad at you; I knew what you'd been doing every time you went out; at first, I thought Yeona was just being generous with you guys, but I had no idea things would become more intimate between you two; I feel betrayed." He said very clearly so I didn't miss any details.

"Yeona was already happy and contented with her life before you came, and we were contented with just us. Just to let you know, since you just transferred two months ago, Yeona and I have history, and this time I've been trying to get those times back, but things are harder for me because of you." He started to become aggressive with his tone, and I felt angry that I just wanted to punch him, but I also felt sad because maybe Yeona was already happy and

"So, can you just back up and stay away from us? From Yeona?" he asked, and I felt offended and dismissed.

"Is that a question or an order?" I sarcastically checked.

"It depends on how you react," he responded, cocky.

"Hey Chan, I like Yeona too, and I'll do anything for her; I can make her happy, not just you," I said, fighting back my rage.

"Make her happy? You? You can't even make your brother happy without Yeona's help, MY help." He emphasized, and I was hurt.

"How can you make Yeona happy if you can't even make your brother happy by yourself?" he retorted.

"We've been fine with just the two of us for three weeks," I explained.

"Sure, maybe now, but how about next month? Next year?" He smirked because I couldn't respond.

"Yeah, little kid. You have a messed up life, which is why you transferred, and now you're going to include Yeona in your life? She's a princess in her family. Stop dragging her into your miserable life. If you love her, you want the best for her." He said as he sipped his coffee.

"I never imagined that the man everyone admired was an actual demon," I said harshly.

"As long as I can get Yeona from you, I don't mind being a demon," he countered.

"Are you mad? I'm just telling you the facts; you want to punch me? Then punch me," he said, opening his arms as a sign of his willingness to be punched. I got up because I had just... I was just irritated.

"Remember, when you can't even control yourself, it just proves your love for Yeona," he said as I sat down slowly.

"So, I guess you know what to do," he said, and I just looked pitifully at the cold coffee in front of me.

"I'll take that as a yes. I'm looking forward to your cooperation, Hyunjin. I'll pay, don't worry, that's how you are anyway. Just take and take from other people," he said as he walks away, and my fists tighten.

I wanted to scream and punch him, but I couldn't. I couldn't repeat the error I made at my previous school. I guess my past was still following me around. I can't even love and protect those I care about because of it. I'm out of options. I'm not wealthy, I don't have a lovely family, and I don't even have a life. I don't have anything to keep Yeona safe.

I burst into tears as I looked at the table in front of me. I tried to keep it quiet so no one would notice. As I cry, I cover my mouth with my hands. I apologize, Yeona. I'm only... This. I'm truly sorry.