22. Just maybe

YEONA'S POV

As soon as I walked into our classroom, I greeted Yuji. When I got to my seat, I noticed a carton of strawberry milk on my table. I stared at it as I dropped my bag beside my table. I took it and looked around.

"Do you know who put this here, Yuji?" I asked.

"No, I thought you left it here the day before," she replied. "You didn't?" she inquired.

"No," I replied hesitantly.

"Oh, so it's from another person? Wait, maybe a guy? A secret admirer? Omygash, I'm so jealous," she exclaimed excitedly.

"Secret admirer pfft," I teased her. I cast a glance at Hyunjin, who was writing something. I sat down and placed the milk on my table.

The morning class went off without a hitch. Everyone was already sleepy and tired. Morning classes were the most exhausting. We groaned while stretching, and I noticed Hyunjin walking behind me to the cafeteria.

"Hey, Yeona, are you not going to drink the milk? It's your favorite," Yuji questioned.

"Oh, yeah," I said as I drank my milk on my way to the cafeteria.

Before we started eating, we got our food and found a table. Then Chan sat down next to me, smiled, and I just stared at him.

"We're finally finished!" Yuji exclaimed as he began eating.

"Did you find the milk?" Chan asked, and we just stared at him.

"Wait, you put it there?" I investigated, surprised.

"Yeah, why?" he replied, putting food in his mouth and chewing it.

"Nothing, I mean, you could leave a letter, you know," I explained as I ate some food.

"Oh, is that your style? Sticky notes?" Chan consulted, resting his elbow on the table and resting his head on his hand while staring at me.

"Ah, no? I mean, that'd be nice, but it's so I know who gave it to me; it could be anyone," I explained as I tried to avoid Chan's gaze.

"Guys, just tell me if you're dating or something so I don't feel lost and I can go find another circle of friends so I don't end up being a third wheel for you two," Yuji said.

"No -"

"Yes, I'm courting her," Chan stated firmly, and I just stared at him in disbelief.

"Wow," was all Yuji could say.

Chan has been courting me for a week now. He treated me much better than usual, and he was even more clingy than usual. Chan looked like a kid again, which was adorable. Since the day he cried on me, I've been doing everything I could to open up my heart to him because I knew he was sincere. I mean, I'd already rejected him three times, and he still wouldn't let go of me.

*****
Song recommendation: Straykids - MIA

HYUNJIN'S POV

Throughout the week, I diverted my attention to school, and Jisung was instrumental in helping me forget about Yeona. We've been together almost constantly. We've grown closer, but I haven't told him about Yeona, and it doesn't really matter anymore.

I still looked at Yeona now and then, and I noticed that she looked normal, like she used to. I'm happy for her, but I'm also sad because I couldn't be with her in happier times. I saw Yeona and Chan together at every break, lunch, and end of class. Couples are happy. I'm curious if they're already dating.

I went to school early this morning because I was having trouble sleeping. I tried to sleep in my seat until I noticed Chan enter our classroom. I pretended to sleep, but I noticed him looking at me before putting something on Yeona's table. I looked at it as soon as he left, and it was strawberry milk.

Before I left the classroom after the morning class, I learned that Yeona's favorite drink was strawberry milk. That was something I had no idea about, but Chan did. I felt useless once more. Every day in the cafeteria, they were clinging to each other. It enraged me while also making me envious.

It was time to leave class and go home. I tried, as usual, to get home before Yeona and Chan. Jisung grabbed my bag just as I was about to leave.

"Hyunjin, you always go home quickly; you don't get to hang out with us. What's up? Something going on in your house?" he investigated, and I attempted to pull my bag but couldn't. I placed a glance at Yeona, and I believe she heard Jisung's question.

"No, I just want to go home because... my brother is waiting for me," I said, pulling my bag and running out of the room.

I walked towards the bus stop, my thoughts still on Yeona and Chan. Despite the fact that I've seen them together, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it. I just want to let go of Yeona, but I can't. I keep telling myself that she's better with Chan than with me. He could give her anything she desired.

I went to the bus stop and boarded the bus. Because there weren't many people inside, I was able to sit in the back. I put on my earphones and put my Melon app on shuffle, and M.I.A by Stray Kids came on. I turned off my phone and looked out the window. This song just got to me... The song sounds like it could be about how awkward it was between a guy and a girl. How the girl had changed, and how the guy yearned for the girl he used to be with. A tear fell from my right eye, which I wiped away.

I arrived in my neighborhood and began walking while listening to M.I.A. on repeat. My thoughts were blank until I noticed a dog in an alley. I approached it slowly, and it hadn't noticed me yet. I remember the first time Yeona and I talked to one another. An angel came to my aid because of this dog. Maybe.. Just possibly... Would you save me if I was attacked by this dog again, Yeona?