prologue

"it's about time you gave us a luna, jungkook," his father said.

jungkook rolled his eyes for the umpteenth time. if he heard that one more time, he was going to explode.

"don't roll your eyes at your father," his mother scolded.

they were all in the head alpha's office, his father having decided to call a family meeting while he was sleeping.

jungkook sat on the couch while his parents stood before him.

"for the last time," jungkook huffed, "i don't want a mate, much less a luna."

"and for the last time, we told you this isn't just about you," his father explained. "you're about to be the leader, you have to think about everyone in lockjaw."

jungkook's parents have been lecturing him about his accent to pack leader for months now, urging him to take more responsibility.

the young alpha wasn't in any hurry to lead. his parents were both alive and well, so he didn't understand what the rush was.

plus, they were already doing a good job, so why mess it up.

"what's holding you back, sweetheart? do you want us to find a mate for you?" his mother offered.

jungkook's eyes quickly snapped up.

"no, mom, gosh! I do not want a mate, alright?!" jungkook yelled, fist balling as he hastily stood up.

"don't you talk to your mother in that tone!" his fathers voice boomed, stepping forward, quickly quieting jungkook down.

jungkook looked ready to argue, but the look on his mothers face had him calming down.

he sighed, uncurling his fist and walking to his mother. he placed his head in the crevice of her neck.

"i'm sorry," he whispered. jungkook had never raised his voice at her before.

he knew as a wolf that she wasn't affected, considering she's an alpha, but as a mother, she looked devastated.

the luna wrapped her arms around her son, gently massaging his neck.

jungkook calmly breathed in his mother's pine cone scent, relaxing in her hold. soon, his fathers cinnamon scent mingled into it as he stepped closer.

"listen, jungkook," his father began, placing a hand on his shoulder, "we're sorry if it seems like we're pressuring you. that's not our intention."

"we just want someone to be here with you, not just for the pack, but for you too," his mother added. "you need someone to take care of you."

"i can take care of myself just fine," jungkook mumbled into her shoulder.

his mother chuckled.

"there are some things you can't handle by yourself, dear," she continued.

"if you're talking about my rut, there are plenty of people for me to fuck," jungkook deadpanned, lifting his head up.

the luna slapped the side of his head at the vulgar remark, his father sighing.

"that's not what she means, son. just because you're a true blood doesn't mean you're invincible," his father explained. "i know you like to hide behind your tough guy act, but there are some things you can't hide or run from. things only a mate can help you with."

mate, jungkook thought. the word itself made him sick.

he didn't understand how people could look at each other and instantly change.

he was expected to love someone for the rest of his life just because the moon goddess said so? jungkook thought it was complete bullshit.

he was never into commitment to begin with, so the whole mate concept was a thorn in his side.

his parents knew how he felt and spent years trying to convince him otherwise.

"just promise me one thing," his mother spoke, noticing her son's mind wandering.

jungkook looked up, seeing the plea in her eyes.

"when you do find your mate...please don't reject them."

jungkook frowned, looking away from his mother. she was making an impossible request and she knew it.

the luna stepped closer and took her son's face in her hands, firmly holding him.

"i'm serious, jungkook. don't reject your mate," she said again.

"mom, you know i—"

"please."

jungkook couldn't ignore the desperation in her voice.

he looked at her before glancing at his father, the same worry in his eyes.

he couldn't believe how big of a deal this was to them.

eventually he sighed before he finally nodded.

that seemed to be a good enough answer for his parents because they both grinned before engulfing the boy in a hug.

jungkook knew he was still going to reject his mate (if he ever found them), but he could at least ease his parents worry by making them think otherwise.

for now, he just let his parents coddle him and praise him for his effort.

─────

:D