Chapter One

"Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy without ever reaching satisfaction" - Erich Fromm

THIRD PERSON ▪︎ POV

Grimm was panting softly, his breathing harsh as he sprinted down the corridor and up the spiralling staircase to to find his friend. He had to be quick, relay the information and then meet the devil back downstairs for a discussion with the council.

Gorey was also a Reaper. Grimm often completed jobs with the male and they spent a lot of time together, enough time to realise that they were both as twisted in their ways as one another. Both greedy and out for more.

However, Gorey's pursuit did not involve hopping into bed with the devil. No, he was after power. Despite his already impressive gift of being able to tamper with life and death, he was looking for more.

It was true that Reapers weren't as valued as the mischievous Shapeshifters or the Archdemons. But their jobs were a very important part of the process from earth to hell. Gorey was too blind to see his wealth and his lack of sight caused him to seek trouble with Grimm.

When he reached the wooden door under the arched frame of his friend's office, Grimm knocked once and pushed it open, stumbling inside. His yellow eyes scanned the room, falling on the other male quickly.

"If you're here about the meeting, I already know-"

"Not that," Grimm shoved the door and it snapped into place. The Reaper was quick to drop into a chair beside Gorey, his leg bouncing with adrenaline as he quickly spilled everything he'd witnessed.

Gorey sat up straight, listening intently. The Reaper couldn't deny he was very wary. His friend seemed not to realise the danger he would be putting himself in for meddling with the devil's mate.

"I was thinking we could tip off Castiel and-"

"No, no way," Gorey hissed, immediately shaking his head. His own yellow eyes were wide at the mention of the god's name. "Are you insane?! Not only will we be publicly whipped and killed for treason, our parents and siblings too!"

Creed hated Castiel with a burning passion. The feud between the two rulers of the realms had been going on for close to billions of years. No body knew what happened to cause the shift, but it most likely had to do with the polar opposite roles of each leader and their people.

Simply, the demons were bad, the angels were good. The human's were their toys, earth their playground. There seemed to be a constant battle between good and evil on earth, each realm eager to have humans turn to their side. The term, devil on your left shoulder, angel on your right, was very much metaphorically true.

The angels tempted good deeds such as love and kindness with promises of a greater afterlife in heaven. The demons tempted the seven deadly sins with promises of satisfaction and personal riches in the short term of course.

The point was that the Devil made it clear his hatred for Castiel came above anything else. His hatred was their collective hatred. They were all enemies.

The angels looked at the demons with disgust. The demons mocked and laughed at the angels. To conspire with the enemy was to write your own death warrant. There was no way in hell Gorey was going to do so.

"Wait," Grimm knew what his friend was thinking but he was stupid enough to believe that he would really gain something great out of the disaster he was conspiring to cause.

"Think about it. All I need you to do is cover for me so that I can visit Castiel. He won't kill me when I tell him about the baby, I'm a valuable informant. Then, it's up to Castiel to find it and kill it on earth. You know he'll absolutely love the idea of hurting Creed and this will be his opportunity to strike back. Once the kid is gone, I'll have the devil and then we can work on getting you his power while he's weak," Grimm quickly rushed out in a low breath of air.