Chapter 1

Lexi's POV

The warmth from the retreating sun beat on my back as I ran the territory line between my pack's land and The Moonshine pack. My paws pounded into the ground underneath me as I ran further than I typically did. My hind legs dug into the dirt, pushing me to go faster.

Lately my wolf wasn't satisfied with a leisurely jog, she wanted to test my limits. I didn't mind. Running always cleared my head. The fresh air and the silence allowed my thoughts to wonder and untangle themselves.

After my parents died, I kind of ended up on my own a lot. This was when I figured out my love for running. Before I was able to shift, I would run in human form. It built up a stamina not common for a female wolf. Though I was not a high ranking wolf, I could probably sprint laps around majority of them. My wolf and I prided ourselves on this fact.

Growing up, my brother and I had never been close, so when my parents died I never leaned on him for emotional support. Instead, I ran out here a lot. No one noticed when I was gone anyways. I was always the loner in the back. No one really paid any mind to what I did, so I learned to just keep to myself and keep my mouth shut. It wasn't like I was some outcast. I wasn't bullied or picked on necessarily, I just didn't have many friends.

The further the sun set, the more the stars began to come out. I finally decided to make my way back to the pack house. I couldn't run all night like my wolf and I craved to, because school was looming in the morning.

I shifted at the tree line right before I reached the house. I slipped back on my clothes that I had hidden when I shifted, then I trudged up the lawn, until I reached the front door. I paused, not ready to face real life again. I took in one last deep breath of fresh air, then I slipped in silently, and went straight to my room. I showered, pulled on my pajamas, then crawled into bed. I fell asleep dreading the day in front of me.

I woke up to the normal ruckus of the pack house. I sleepily made my way over to my closet. Pulling out a loose fitting sweater, and some jeans, I looked into the mirror to see my natural wavy blonde hair hanging to my ribs. I reached up on my dresser for my brush, and detangled my hair. I quickly brushed my teeth, checking the clock.

"The bus is here!" I heard our Luna, Mrs. Jackson, call out. I could hear frantic footsteps rushing down the stairs. I grabbed my bag, and slung it over my shoulder. Rushing down the stairs about five beats behind everyone else, I pulled some of my hair back with a barrette.

Double checking that my glasses were in place I almost tripped on the stairs. Distracted on my way down the last bit of stairs, I ran into my Luna. "Hello Lexi, how are you sweet girl?" She hugged me. Luna Jackson had always liked me. When my mother died, she was the one who wiped my tears. Now even though I'm 17, she still checks up on me occasionally. I know it's basically her duty as Luna, but I would like to think she just has a soft spot for me.

"I'm good, thank you Luna." I smiled at her. "But I need to go!" I laughed, rushing down the remaining stairs, only pausing a second to wave back to her. She just shooed me away smiling.

I was sad her and our current Alpha we're leaving soon. Once the title of Alpha was passed down to their son they planned to travel the country and visit other packs. It was not uncommon for retired Alpha's to do this. Most Alpha's were friends due to their constant meetings to keep the peace and all that Jazz. And with only 15 packs left in the United States they all knew each other fairly well. Part of me envied them for being able to get away from everything.

When I got to school, I went to my locker and grabbed all my books. As I was walking to my first period science class, the whole school was buzzing with the fact it's our future alpha's 18th birthday. I could hear all of the unmated females hopeful whispers praying that they would be his mate. Girls were checking their hair and makeup in the lockers. How vain? My wolf muttered to herself. But I agreed. A mate should love you regardless.