Two Unlikely Companions

It was a balmy summer evening. The wind whistled through the lush grass as the birds twittered their love tunes and the sun shined blaringly so. A lonely stranger trotted the winding dirt path on his horse, the pounding of hoof-steps a rhythmic sound almost akin to that of a drum.

This continued on for what seemed a long stretch of time until a small figure made itself apparent alongside the path - driving both the horse and rider out of their heat induced stupor. The rider sized up the lonely girl. She was petite in stature and definitely no older than 17 or 18. Her long flaxen hair messily lain across her back and shoulders, a disheveled mess. But of course, that definitely was not the first feature to strike the rider's attention.

She was dressed in a very peculiar fashion. Almost immodestly so. The rider wasn't one to judge of course, regarding the state of the climate they were in. But, it weren't necessarily the lacking of clothing but rather the style of it. It had a very colorful look to it, with strange designs splayed across the front. Eventually, though, the rider decided it best to not waste energy pondering on such a thing and instead turned his head to face the odd individual.

Hesitant at first, the girl began with a falter, her eyes wide, "s-sorry to bother you... I- just.... Er....". She paused for a breath. The rider stared lazily on, hoping this was really worth his time. He had seen many days in his lifetime and this one did not make the list for good ones. She began back up with a anxious laugh. "I need a ride. If that isn't too much to ask."

Of course it was another 'fair maiden' in distress and in need of a ride. The rider gazed at her a bit, in thought of course. He supposed if the ride wasn't too far and there was at least a little payment at the end of the journey like there typically is, it could be worth his time. He started with a resigned sigh.

"Sure. Get on." He stated simply. She seemed almost too elated at the response and scrambled clumsily on, causing the horse to heave an agitated snort. "Where to?" He said gruffly. "Oh... Uh, Valentine'll do just fine thanks." The rider saw a nervous smirk played about her cheeks out of the corner of his eye as he craned his neck in her direction. Perhaps this was a good break for her. Wasn't any of his business though.

With a swift kick and click of the tongue, the horse proceeded dutifully on its journey as if it were never even interrupted. The two continued on, silently staring ahead into emerald fields and cerulean skies. Doubtfully admiring the views but rather immersed in their own thoughts.

The rider himself, not being particularly a social person, felt this fitting and continued to enjoy the peace. After a while though, curiosity rose to the surface of his mind like bubbles in a pot and he was the first to speak up, "So.. Uh... You're not from around here.. Are you?" It seemed a decent enough question.

He was met with a loud exhale. "It's that obvious? Let me guess: the clothes." She seemed irritated, though he wasn't quite sure whether it was directed at him. He couldn't help but chuckle softly, "Wasn' meanin' to say it out loud.. But, ya." Her irritation seemed to dissipate fast enough, being replaced instead by slight amusement. "This'll be a bit of a shock, but you're not the first to say something."

At her sarcastic reply, a slight grin pulled at the edges of his mouth. "Is that so?" He inquired. He hadn't expected much snark from such a seemingly skittish travel companion, but he welcomed it nonetheless. Perhaps this could be even a mildly entertaining ride.

"Yes. But fashion isn't exactly the top of my worry list." She chewed at her lip. Likely in thought. "Wish I had a car-" she fixed herself hastily, "carriage, or horse. I mean." The rider barely took notice at her mistake and instead ventured into the next topic. "Anyway, what you doin' all the way out here for?" She huffed in his general direction, "long story short, I'm looking for some rock carvings. Couldn't explain it if I wanted to." The last response seemed to pique the man's interest a bit, but he knew better than to press the matter. There was a slight pause. "Okay." He grunted.

They remained silent for a spell. They were more than likely running the previous conversation through their heads. Or perhaps just just contemplating about life in general. It didn't last long though, for the girl had other plans. "I suppose I'll go ahead and introduce myself. I'm Anne. Anne Davis."

The rider reckoned there was no harm in revealing his identity. He knew he'd be stuck with the girl for a good minute anyway. "Arthur. Arthur Morgan."