Chapter Four

Skylar's POV.

My eyes slowly fluttered open as I regained consciousness. The pain hit me first then that annoying voice stuck in my head hit me second. Skylar! I really need to talk to you! A growl escaped me and I sat up realizing where I am. The hospital room is as plain and white as I'd thought it'd be. I pressed a hand to my head. Why am I here? The events from last night slowly appeared in my memories.

Confusion hit me first. Siqiniq, how do you know how to fight like that? Then, one by one, more questions came to me. How did you know that was our mate by just his howl? Why was he on the other side of the river? Was he the one who protected us? Why didn't he take us with him? Why wasn't he acting like how a werewolf should when they meet their mate? Siqiniq... did he reject us?

She didn't respond at first. One question at a time. No, he did not reject us. I am not sure why he left like so, but I am not entirely sure he is a werewolf. Skylar, you obviously do not realize that I can recognize our mate and when I heard him howl, I just somehow knew that he is our mate. It is purely instinct based and I am an expert on instincts. Heck, I am your instincts. And when we were younger and used to train with the gammas, I tried to take in as much information as I could. I wanted to be able to protect you to the best of my ability.

My shock stopped me from responding, but once I did recover, I wasn't even sure what to say. Why did I never know of any of this?

Because you never asked. She paused, allowing me to take in the information. There is a lot you refuse to understand and learn, Sky. If you would just listen for once, we could have been invincible.

Anger blossomed within me. So it's my fault? Why didn't you help me 'understand and learn'?

Yes, it is your fault because you never listened! She snapped at me. Shock quickly replaced my anger. Siqiniq had never snapped at me. You never gave me the chance! I have wanted to the entire time I have been with you, but I was never given the chance! She paused, but I knew she wasn't finished. I know that what I did was painful. I know that taking you away from our parents near the end of their lives was painful. But neither of us could have helped our parents in that situation. I did what I knew was best for both of us. Sky do you even realize that they were my parents too? They raised me too! We are two souls intertwined, meaning we are each half of our whole soul. There is no you or me, it is us!

I couldn't respond. I wanted to though. I wanted to deny her and prove her wrong. But I couldn't, because she was all the way right.

I am truly sorry, Skylar, but you are ignorant and immature and you do not realize that terrible things happen to other people and not just yourself! It felt like a punch. She had never spoken to me in such a way and I am in no way used to it. I wish I was never intertwined with your soul. And with that, she cut off communication with me.

It all hit me full force and I felt a need to throw up. Tears collected at the corners of my eyes and I let them fall down my face in ugly streams. But I made no sound, for I was too shocked at everything that had just happened.

My motionless state made me angry. I needed to do something, anything. And without a second thought I kneeled on the bed and turned around and started slamming my fists into my pillow. Though I am not angry, I am more... truthfully I'm filled with an emotion I cannot seem to place. However, I still felt a need to do something to take away my focus from my thoughts.

"What the fuck happened, Skylar?" A yelp escaped my lips as I recognized the voice to be Chase's. I sat back down and faced him. His face put on a skeptical and curious look.