The One Pitch (Pt. 2) [Edited]

Eijun and I arrived at the train station in Tokyo and stepped off onto the platform. Rei stepped out after us, I watched Eijun look around in awe and clutch tighter to the hat his teammates gave him.

We have gone with Rei to see the, as Eijun called it, "top-level baseball." I of course had no intention to pay much attention to this practice but when we stepped through those gates, something inside of me clicked and I longed to be playing with them. Small tears made their way to my eyes, knowing I would never feel the rush of playing baseball again, but I kept my emotionless face.

Needless to say, Eijun was in shock. "Like it?" Rei said smugly; "This is our prestigious baseball practice field. We have an indoor practice area over there, and most of the members of the team live in the Seidou Spirit Dorms." Her directions were fruitless as Eijun was ogling at a pop-fly machine. And then at a pitching machine. He straightened up when he heard Rei chuckle.

"I-I'm not falling in love or anything!" He said. "I was just caught off guard!" She obviously didn't believe brother but played along anyway.

"Is that so?" He grumbled then turned back to the field. "Besides, you don't need all this expensive equipment to play baseball." He still has that same mindset... all you need is a ball and a bat and you're good to go. I wish I could be so optimistic brother.

"I bet you just gather all the best players from around the nation. Then it's of no surprise that you're good. In fact, I would hate to lose to a top-tier team that's granted anything they want." He said.

Rei hummed and said "I won't deny the fact that half of our team members are from outside of the prefecture. They're here to play baseball abroad, so to speak." He turned his head and flared his nostrils at her a little. I was off in my own world, picking at my cuticles on my left hand while watching a pitcher throw to a batter.

"However." Rei said, catching a little bit of my attention because she seemed serious. "This is the age when Japanese high school baseball is known to be the best in the world, and scouts come from the major leagues just to invite players to their teams. 'Fifteen year old boys leave home for the purpose of honing their abilities. I respect all players who have that determination and aspiration."

I'll have to admit, I do too. Respect them, I mean, leaving their families to dedicate their lives to this sport. I could tell that Eijun was thinking the same thing. I began to let my eyes wander again and soon found they fell back on the boy who was pitching. Then the boy that he was pitching to started yelling.

"Kawakami! Are you kidding me?" He yelled. I furrowed my brows, oh... he's one of those players. I frowned. Not all people get better with harsh words, and not all people understand that. It's unfortunate really.

"You throw like a girl! How about you pitch with some feeling? You're already tired? This is why you can't make the team!" That's more harsh than necessary.
"I'm sorry!" This, Kawakami, shouted back.

I heard the players around me muttering about how he's at it again. "If you don't want to get better, then go back home to your mommy! We've got plenty of pitchers to replace you."

"I want to get better!" Kawakami yelled back. "Then give me your best shot!" And again Kawakami wound up for his pitch. Rei said something but I wasn't listening.

"It's like I'm swinging through air! You're gonna make my skills rust like that! Kawakami! You're done! Get off the mound! Someone carry him out, put him in a cardboard box and send him home!" He yelled with a grin on his face.