Reminiscence

____________________

The sadness will last forever

- Vincent Van Gogh

____________________

Elio felt lost.

The winds blew gently. The sun had set, yet the light was there. The surrounding that was beaming with the bright rays till a few seconds back, had now lost all its attraction and serenity. A raging storm had come, and took away the girl with it. All that was left now was a strange dullness and painful memories.

The place seemed to have been absorbed in the sound of silence. A silence left after the wrath of a storm. A silence that didn't offer comfort, but caused a certain feeling of oppression and...emptiness. It was as if the mountains were replaced by a land which resembled a...grave.

Elio was sitting on his knees, his hands hanging by his side. His face was devoid of any expression, but inside him a strange heaviness was filling in that tightened his chest. He tried to process what he saw just now, but his brain seemed to have shut down.

He felt breathless, as if he had been running for long. The deafening silence around him was threatened to engulf him.

Elio tried to stand up but his legs refused to obey him. Rather his whole body refused to comply with him. He was breathing but it seemed he wasn't alive.

Though only a few minutes had passed only, it felt like hours as he sat there, trying to gather himself and regain his physical strength. His thoughts were all quite blurry, doing very little to help him get out of his unresponsive wakefulness.

As he curled his fingers into a fist, Elio felt something in his hand.Turning his fist upward,he opened it.

A paper was there, crumpled and folded from the pressure of his fingers. The paper held something inside its fold. It didn't strike Elio how the paper came in his hand. His movements seemed as those of a person carrying out some commands.

Slowly as he opened the paper, a pendant caught his sight. The light of the sun shone across it much like a moonlight would caresses an ocean at night. Her moonstone pendant.

An image cropped up in Elio's mind - a young girl wearing this pendant, laughing and smiling to her heart's content, and her beautiful face reflecting the innocence of her soul. A time when life, if not better, was easier.

Elio shut his eyes tightly. And like a video replay, the whole incident that happened at the cliff occurred in a flashback in his mind.

"IGNIS!"

Elio frantically opened his eyes as he recalled everything. He stood up and walked closer to the edge, not bothering the fact that he was putting himself in the similar dangerous situation.