Chapter VIII: Tonks & Tonks

Maddening. That was the word I'd use to describe my thoughts in that moment. Another week had passed and I was no closer to understanding what my teacher meant by his words. What did he mean when he said I needed to “admit my real reasons for being there?” I already knew my reasons. It was to prove my superiority over the Dursleys. To show them that I was better than they are. That was my reason. My only reason.

Right?

XoX

Harry swept into Gringotts and made for the nearest available teller. Wearing new clothing that would help him blend in better, he looked every bit the part of a young wizard. With an outfit consisting of black dress slacks, polished dragon hide boots, a black button up shirt with a larger than average collar, black gloves, and a long dark green cloak, the young raven-haired boy couldn't help but feel kind of like a Jedi. It was an amusing notion, especially when he considered how everyone else was dressed in similar robes. They were like a Jedi conclave, and the goblins were like ruder versions of Yoda.

“I would like to speak with my account manager at his earliest convenience,” Harry spoke the moment he stopped in front of an empty teller station.

“Do you have an appointment?” asked the Goblin without looking up from the ledger he was writing in.

“Yes.”

“Name?”

“Harry Potter.”

At his name being told, the Goblin finally looked up at Harry. He eyed the boy for a second, his eyes going to the lightning bolt scar on his forehead. The Goblin grunted. “Ragnok is currently busy. He will see you when he has the time. Please wait over there and he will be with you momentarily.”

Harry did not offer any words, only giving a nod before moving to stand at the place the teller had designated for him to wait. Closing his eyes, he began to focus his magic on enhancing his hearing as a basic meditation excessive.

Enhancement was one of the five magics that Harry could do, and according to what he had read so far it was the only branch of magic he had that didn't have an equivalent in the wizarding world. Much like its name stated, enhancement was the simple act of enhancing a physical aspect of himself. He could enhance just about anything, from increasing the acuteness of his five senses, to increasing the durability and strength of his body.

Of course, enhancing his body took a lot more effort and would often leave him beyond exhausted when finished, which was the reason he never used it in combat. It was simply too dangerous. Harry had theorized that it had something to do with the way his magic flowed through him during that time. His belief was that due to the magic increasing his physical abilities, they would become acclimated to having that power in them. When the magic left, the muscles would become tired because they no longer had any power bolstering them. It was a workable theory, and one that he would be testing as much as possible when he had the time.

The sound of footsteps drew his attention away from his meditation. Opening his eyes, Harry found himself staring at a familiar Goblin.

“Griphook,” he said in greeting. The Goblin, Griphook, paused, seemingly surprised that Harry actually remembered him. He got over his shock quickly however, and gestured for Harry to follow him.

“Follow me.”

Once more Harry was led to the office where his account manager worked. Ragnok was sitting behind the desk just as he had been the last time they had spoken. The Goblin was leafing through several scrolls, documents most likely, but looked up when Harry came in.

“Lord Potter,” Ragnok placed the scrolls off to the side. “What can I do for you today?”

“I would like to start investing,” Harry began without preamble. He had been studying up on Goblin society in the hopes that by doing so, he would not only be able to work with the Goblins, but also gain their respect. After all, they did control his money, and ill begotten was the fool who insulted those who controlled your vaults.