Chapter XXXX: Jaguars, Griffins and Dragons, Part II

Sunday was a day off for many people, including Harry Potter, on most occasions. Such was not the case this day. Today Harry decided to use this time to visit Hagrid and get some answers. He had done some snooping, and discovered something that made him believe Hagrid might know about the Cerberus and whatever it was guarding.

It was early in the morning; the sun had risen, but only enough for the morning light to reflect off the dewy grass and the Black Lake. Everyone else was still most likely asleep, except for Hagird, who Harry knew from his observations rose with the morning sun. Another surprise, considering he would not have expected the giant of a man to be an early bird, but then, Hagrid was the gate keeper, so it made sense.

The wet grass crunched under Harry's feet as he walked toward the small hut belonging to Hagrid. It was a tiny little thing, round, and composed mostly of wood and plaster with a thatched roof. It was far smaller than what someone Hagrid's size should have been living in, but he supposed that, in a way, it suited Hagrid. The man did not strike Harry as the type to enjoy frivolities, but more the kind of man who liked living a simple life.

Stopping in front of the door, Harry waited for a moment before knocking exactly three times. The sound of barking immediately reached his ears, along with shouts of, “Back! Back Fang!” and the scuffling of someone moving around the hut toward the door.

The door opened and Hagrid's giant frame appeared within the doorway. The massive man blinked several times before looking down to see Harry.

“'arry!” the man cried, seemingly pleased to see him. “What are ye doin' here so early in the mornin'?”

“I've always had too much energy to stay awake for longer than a few hours every night,” Harry replied easily. “I usually wake up around this time, and I figured that, if your offer of visiting was still available, I would come to see you.”

“O' course it is,” Hagrid informed him happily. He moved out of the way, allowing Harry to enter. “Come on in, yer just in time fer tea.”

Harry nodded and walked into the strangely stifling hut. The moment he did, he was assaulted, for lack of a better term, by a large, gray-haired boarhound. The enormous dog, almost a three feet larger than Harry was tall and easily three times as heavy, jumped on the young man and began licking his face. The emerald-eyed boy had to reinforce his arms and legs just keep the overly-enthusiastic dog from squashing him.

“Get back ye mangy mutt,” Hagrid told the dog affectionately as he pulled it off Harry. “Sorry 'bout that. We don't get many visitors here.”

“It's fine,” Harry said, using his wand to cast a cleaning charm on his now wet face and clothes. “I like dogs.” It wasn't strictly true, but it wasn't a lie either. He was impartial to all animals at best, but there were a few of animals various species that he did like. It was more a matter of the animal itself, not what kind they were. Though he would admit to being partial to all forms of snakes.

“Well, it looks like he's taken a likin' to ye as well.” Hagrid looked very pleased to see someone who appreciated his pet. The large man moved about the small hut, heading toward the back where Harry could see a large pot and a tea kettle boiling over the fireplace, which had a strange black ball in it. “Tea?”

“Yes please,” was the instinctual response.

Harry sat down and was again accosted by Fang, though this time the dog did not jump on him, but rather placed its head in his lap. Harry pet the large dog on its head.

He frowned as Hagrid came back bearing two large mugs of steaming liquid. Maybe this was the normal temperature, but it was incredibly hot inside of the hut. Harry didn't think this was a natural heat.