Chapter 1 : Emergency

It was one of those mornings, beautiful day, birds singing, that lovely warmth on my skin saying 'It's okay, how could anything go wrong on a day like this?'

And that's when everything went wrong.

I know some people like attention, and others don't, and I'm the kind somewhere in the middle. If someone needs attention, or just needs to talk to someone, then I'm like the super-hero who swoops in and saves the day.

But on the other hand, if someone walks up to me and just starts a random conversation, then I will tell them to go away because I don't want their attention.

That is exactly how it went when Joshua Sparrow decided he could sit next to me at lunch.

When he sat down, he said, "What up, nerd?"

Thank the Lord I didn't have anger issues like I used to.

Oh, wait, I didn't introduce myself. My name is Jaiden Diaz, the teenager people hate only because of my religion. But does that stop me from loving them? No, it does not, because I am a child of God and I will love anyone no matter how annoying, mean, or Joshua they are.

But I was sitting there, reading my favorite book and drinking a glass of almond milk, when he sat and just started talking, like we were friends or something. Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't hesitate to be his friend, but only if he changes his ways. See, Joshua is the type of boy that loves getting everyone's attention, but spare me if you will, he doesn't have the best of ways.

He gets people to like him by taking them out to get a drink, then once they start getting loopy, he takes them and fakes them. By fake, I mean bringing them to his apartment and when they wake up, tells them he saved them before a guy could steal something precious of theirs, like their purse, or their iPhone, or maybe even their life.

But when it comes to me, there is nothing he can do to break the spirit of the Lord living inside of me, for I have found God, and he has never left me since.

Sitting here I know he thinks I am ignoring him, but I just got an emergency text from my mom, so I got up and started walking trying to get there to talk to the principal.

But that wasn't the case, because who other than Joshua Sparrow who thought that if he started a conversation with me, then he was going to end it.

"Nerd, hey, NERD! Wait up!" he said, already wheezing for breath.

"Could you possibly get it into that small, itty bitty head of yours that I don't like to be called that!" I said through clenched teeth. So that's where my anger has been. "Why are you following me?" I said, turning around.

"Why are you leaving?"

Oh, Joshua. The most exasperating of them all. Why couldn't he just leave me alone for once?

"I have an emergency back home, and I need to go now before anything gets worse."

"Is everything alright? Should I go get help? Is it serious?" he looked like he was truly concerned, but I knew his game, and I wasn't going to play it.

"I don't need any help, so please go away." I snapped.

I started walking, getting farther from him.

If I had any thoughts that he would follow me, then I was wrong, because he stayed right where he was, staring at my back.

***

You guys are great. Thank's for commenting on my book, and if you see any mistakes, don't feel bad to point them out!

Read, Vote, Comment, and Enjoy!