5 | LUMINE

"Meet me after your shift."

The enemy prince's words echoed throughout Alex's head. They ricocheted off every thought his brain could muster, from "Why do I care so much about his life?" to "Is this technically treason?". Tired and frustrated of being conflicted all the time, Alex violently shook his head to wipe it clear. When he turned around, Madam Minerva was staring at him like she'd seen a ghost.

"What's wrong with you?"

He let out a nervous laugh. "Just frustrated with these textiles, that's all." He picked up what felt like satin (ugh). "Did you know that I absolutely cannot stand this fabric?"

Minerva grimaced. "I just came to see how you were managing. I take it not well."

"I'm fine," he beamed.

"Let me know if there's any problems then," she finished, before she quickly left and shut the door behind her.

Alex returned to debating with himself. Only a few hours were left until the end of his shift. Until then, he had a decision to make.

Opening the back door, Alex took a quick scan from left to right to see if anyone was still there. He was relieved to see that it was empty, but suddenly angry when he realized it was a little too empty.

That jerk, he thought, thinking he bailed on him, I should've known better than to trust him.

It was in the midst of his harsh mental scolding when he heard a scoff from behind him. Leaning against the white brick wall was the dashing Prince of Ferrum, no longer in dancing attire but instead a casual fit--or, at least, as casual as a wealthy king's son could be. His white billowy shirt was loose and partially unbuttoned, contrasting greatly with his neatly pressed dark brown slacks.

"You really came," he said, voice so soft when compared to the utter confidence Alex was used to hearing from him that he was thrown off guard.

"I don't recall saying I wouldn't," he remarked.

"I just had my assumptions."

Alex hesitated. "Well you shouldn't assume things about people."

"I suppose you're right." A small grin formed on the other prince's face. He gestured his head to the side. "Now that you're here...shall we?"

Thus began their not-a-date date, in which Ezra led Alex through his town's crazed streets. As per the usual night, people were out and about creating chaos wherever they went: laughing, shouting, and filling the pavement to its maximum capacity. In fact, with the way the two were walking, Alex constantly trailing after Ezra like a small puppy, the two princes were separated various times. By the fourth separation it seemed like Ezra had drawn the last straw. He reached for the smaller boy's wrist and carefully pulled him along.

After far too much time, Alex finally asked, "Where are we going?"

"To a place where I want to be buried," he answered.

"What?"

"Kidding."

Suddenly, Alex regretted all of his life choices.

"We're almost there."

After a few more minutes of weaving in and out through an endless sea of people, they'd finally arrived at their destination. Alex stared in sheer wonder at his surroundings.

Everything around him told a story. An overgrown garden, still with floral remnants had told Alex that someone once dedicated their time to nurturing life. In contrast, patches of dried brown grass and weeds told him that someone else had dedicated their time to destroying it.