Chapter 9

"Kate! Oh, Arceus, Kate... Don't you die on us now!"

"Oi, don't you worry, Shorty. You're going to be just fine. Hang on!"

"There's so much blood..."

"Kate, hang on! Help is on the way!"

__________________________________________________________________________________

One hour earlier...

"Class, today we will be learning about the relationship between Operators and Rangers." Ms. April clapped her hands together, standing firmly in front of the classroom. "For starters, does anyone know the name of the technology they use to communicate with each other?"

Rhythmi's hand immediately shot up into the air when Ms. April asked that. "I know! It's called voicemail."

"Right you are, Rhythmi!" Ms. April smiled gently in her direction. "Now, class, I managed to borrow two real capture stylers for our demonstration today, so let's treat them with care." She held two red stylers in her hands, and she placed one on Rhythmi's desk. "Rhythmi, you will play the role of the Operator, and Keith will play the role of the Ranger." She turned to place one on Keith's desk, but the blonde stopped her.

"Umm, Ms. April..." Rhythmi awkwardly interrupted. "...Keith isn't here."

Ms. April blinked owlishly at Keith's empty desk, almost a little concerned. "Oh. I see. He must be running late then." She motioned to give Kate the remaining styler, but she paused again. "Oh, uh... Where is Kate?"

Rhythmi sweatdropped as she eyed Kate's empty desk. "Umm... Neither of them are here yet. I guess...they're both running late?" She awkwardly scratched the back of her head, not really knowing what else to say.

"...oh. I see." Ms. April ran a hand through her hair, unsure of what to do now. "Well, that sort of kills my plans for the day. Those two are our only two Rangers-in-training...."

"MS. APRIL! WE HAVE A CRISIS ON OUR HANDS!"

The classroom door was flung open with great force, and Mr. Kincaid came charging through angrily, completely enraged and shaken up.

Ms. April took a step back in shock, even more rattled than she already was. "Wh-wha... Mr. Kincaid, slow down! What is going on?"

"The school's supply of stylers are gone!" He rested his hands on his knees and tried to catch his breath. "The Teacher's Lounge is completely trashed, and all fifty stylers are gone!"

The whole class fell into a hushed whisper of silence as they tried to process this. The whole school's Styler stash was missing...? Who would break in and trash the Teacher's Lounge just to steal a bunch of stylers?

"If I may, I would like to speak with Keith, please." Mr. Kincaid caught his breath and stood up straight, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Keith is running late..." Ms. April trailed off worriedly, letting her eyes fall on Keith's empty desk and remain there.

"Is he, now?" Mr. Kincaid's voice fell into a lower tone as he knitted his eyebrows together. "Probably off stashing the lot of stylers somewhere..."

"Mr. Kincaid!"

The teacher who reeked of hairspray blinked back his shock at the blonde student who had just risen from her desk and shouted at him. Her name was Rhythmi Valentine, and she did not look pleased.

Rhythmi narrowed her eyes at the teacher. "Look, I know Keith's an idiot sometimes, but he's no thief!" She loudly reprimanded him in front of the whole class, wounding his pride.