•prologue•

"Nice Kill Ushijima!" Tendou praised the ace. Ushijima just shrugged and announced, "Let's wrap up! Tsutomu, Kenjirou, it's your turn to clean up today."

The boys stretched and changed out if their training clothes and began to head back home. The volleyball gymnasium 1 was closed and lights off. They walked past gymnasium no.2 and heard screeching of shoes against the floor and the sound of a spike.

The door was slightly open and they got a look inside, just a peek out of curiosity. It was 9pm afterall.

"It's Kobayashi-san!" Hayato whispered to Tendou.

"She always practices so hard! She needs to take a break." He continued.

"I wouldn't expect anything less from the ace, you know. I am not surprised she's out this late." Tendou replied, monotonously, not really invested in what Hayato said.

Semi went inside. "Hey Maiko-chan! Give yourself a break! We're all going home. Come with us!" He invited her.

"Ah but I still need to spike 10 more times, Eita. You-"

"Please take us with you!" The setter, Adachi Nyoko fell to the ground.

"I can't do this anymore." She whispered, looking at her hands tired from setting the ball so many times - about 50 - to the ace.

"Okay we'll stop. Sorry, Nyoko. You deserve some rest as well."

The girls walked in front of the boys and Eita chatted with them.

"How is Eita-san so close to them?" Taichi mumbled in jealousy.

Ushijima just stared at Maiko as she laughed with Eita. Something about the way she spiked-

"Maiko." He called out her name.

"Oh so you do know my name huh, Wakatoshi?" She turned around and smirked at him. "What's up?"

"Heard you are top 5 aces in Japan?"

"I like to believe i am a very humble person, so I won't brag much. But yes, I am good at my game."

"I want to see you in top 3, if not no. 1" he stopped walking.

Hearing that everybody stopped as well.

Maiko just stared at him. A weird feeling in her stomach. A good feeling.

"If I don't then I will quit playing volleyball."

Everyone gasped at her answer. Wakatoshi just chuckled once and replied, "Deal?" He held his hand out. Maiko shook it and looked at Ushijima with determination in her eyes.

She liked the new spark of motivation in her. She felt energized, as if it she was playing volleyball all over again.

She liked it that someone wanted to drive her.

💜

Ahh this is my first haikyuu fanfic. I hope you enjoy it! I will be using both surnames and names of characters interchangeably. If it confuses you do let me know! Also theyre in the second year right now

Until the next chapter!

Seharu xo