Season 1: Part Two...

Saturday...

Cody, Kade and Heatwave were playing basketball in the court by the side of the firehouse. 

"Kade! You're hogging the ball! You're supposed to bounce it, not hold it!" Cody hollered as he was trying to get the ball of Kade.

"Squirt! I am bouncing it. But now I'm not, because you're arguing with me." Kade said as he stopped to argue with Cody.

Cody sighed. 

"So... Are we playing or not?" Heatwave asked. He was just there watching the whole argument go down.

"Well, according to Kade. I guess not." Cody crossed his arms in a sarcastic and disappointed manner.

"Nope." Kade dropped the ball and started to walk of, chuckling.

Heatwave sighed. "Well... Wanna play with me? I'll be fair on you." He asked.

Cody giggled. "Sure!"

But before they could start, the emergency alarm started to ring.

"Aww... come on!" Cody whined as he and Heatwave began to make their way to the bunker.

"What's the emergency Chief?" Heatwave asked.

"There's a fire near Blossom Vale. We've gotta put it out before people get hurt!" Chief answered. "Cody. You're coming along too. We might need your help evacuating people!"

"Yes!" Cody triumphantly clenched his fist.

"Rescue bots, roll to the rescue!" Heatwave announced as they all began to make their way to the scene.

Turns out, somebody threw a cigarette near a tree and it caught fire in the heat. It was spreading rapidly. Heatwave was using his water cannons to try put it out but it was just spreading too fast.

"Dad. The fires aren't going out at all and Heatwaves running low on water!" Kade reported on his commlink.

"Back away then. Don't hurt yourselves. Blades and Dani will arrive with their scoop claw soon." Chief answered.

Then a tree came crashing down towards Kade. Heatwave quickly scooped him up before it could get to him.

"Hnn- Let go-!" Kade growled before realising that Heatwave saved his life.

"You're welcome." Heatwave chuckled. 

Kade slightly smirked at Heatwave. He didn't want to admit it, but he really admired him.

Cody, Graham and Boulder were helping evacuate people. There was one person sat on a bench minding their own business. Almost as if they were completely unaware there was a huge, blazing fire next to them.

Cody approached them. "Hey!" He shouted. 

The person looked directly at Cody. "Hiya!" They said loudly.

Cody stared at them in utter disbelief and confusion. "Look up, there's a huge fire in front of you!" 

"I know... I'm not budging. " They answered.

"What!?" Cody was really confused with this person. "You might get hurt!"

"I know. I'm not worried. Besides, the one who should really be worried is you! You're getting yourself really close to it." They replied.

"I guess. But I'm part of a rescue team. We know what we're doing!" Cody replied.

Everyone was evacuated while Cody and this person were talking. It was just them left now.

"Please. You're the last one left." Cody was giving up reasoning with this person as this point.

They pointed. "See!" Cody turned around to see the fire was put out as they were talking. "Nothing to worry about." They said.

"Uh..." Cody was speechless.

"Your team's got it all under control. As per usual." They said.

Cody smiled slightly. "Hey, uhm. Not to sound rude or anything but... who exactly are you? I haven't seen you around before." He asked.

The person chuckled. "The name's 'Merkis'. I'm pretty new here. Arrived about a month ago."

"Right. I'm Cody!" He replied, interested and wanting to know more about this mysterious person.

She smiled "Before you ask, I don't do very much. I just sit out here and enjoy what's around." Merkis explained.

Before long. The team finished cleaning up the scene and saw Cody with Merkis. Chief went over to them to see what was going on.

"Hi dad!" Cody said cheerfully.

Chief looked at Merkis and smiled. Merkis waved in response. 

He held out his hand to greet her. "Chief Charlie Burns. Nice to meet you!"

Merkis shook his hand "Pleasure to meet you sir! The name's Merkis." She chuckled. "I say... Stunning rescue!" "You and your team did an exceptional job. Even this Cody lad here!" She looked at Cody and smirked.

"Thank you. Just doing our jobs!" Chief replied as he ruffled his youngest son's golden hair.

"But, may I ask. Why were you sat here possibly risking your life when there was a fire?" Chief asked with a concerned expression.

"Well... It wasn't so close and I wasn't exactly bothered to budge. Perhaps if it was a little closer I would've happily done as told." Merkis explained in her almost sarcastic British tone.

"Right." Chief answered. Pretty lost for words.

Chief looked down and noticed that Merkis had bags of luggage. He paused for a minute. He didn't think a person like her would be living rough... The only way to find out was to ask.

He cleared his throat. "Quick question." 

Merkis looked up at the Chief. Waiting for his question.

"Are you living rough by any chance...?" "you've got an unusual amount of bags for somebody who's just spending the day out." 

Merkis froze for a second. 

"Nnn- Sort of..." She said. Looking away. She then jolted upright. "But I'm not struggling to live or anything." She twiddled her fingers in an embarrassed way.

"You sure?" Cody asked 

Merkis looked at Cody and chuckled. "I'm sure... Honest!"

"Well. Do you mind if we take you back to the firehouse to have you added to the citizen system. There's no 'Merkis' on there." Chief asked.

Merkis sighed. "Sure...!" She snickered. "Couldn't say no to an officer of the law anyways!"

She got up and followed them to their vehicle. This vehicle in particular was Chase.

Merkis noticed the symbol on his front. She stared at it for a second as if she's seen it before... Then she got into the back seat.