Chapter One

The distant sound of gulls cawing woke Clotilde up from her deep slumber. She wiped her eyes of the crust that built up overnight but stayed relaxed in her bed, listening as sailors yelled and laughed as they worked. It wasn't long before her maid Anne burst through the door, out of breath and overly excited.

"Oh my lady, we must make haste!"

She hurried too and fro about the cramped cabin gathering all sorts of garments, jewelry and cosmetics. She paused when she noticed Clotilde not moving and she furrowed her brows.

"Well, what are you doing?! We dock in nearly an hours time and you are nowhere near ready!" 

Clotilde rolled her eyes and groaned as she pushed herself off her bed and made her way over to the washbasin where she sponged down her whole body. She sat down in front of a mirror where Anne began taking out her braid and styling it in a fashionable up-do. She then began to apply creams and powders to give Clotilde the appearance of pale, almost white skin and rosy pink lips. She was primped and beautified with her stays and petticoats tied around her waist. Her dress, a riding habit and a new style was draped over her and a riding hat was placed stylishly atop her exquisite hairstyle to finish the look.

Although she looked beautiful she felt terrible, a sense of dread settling in her stomach at the prospect of meeting her new fiance and that feeling grew stronger as the ship docked and anchored. Through the small porthole of her cabin she could see the whole court gathering for her arrival, The King, Queen and the crown Prince. He didn't look as scary as his portrait in fact he looked rather gangly. 

She put her shoulders down and lifted her chin to give the impression of confidence before she left her cabin and walked down the gangplank to a crowd of nobles. Though she put on a brave face she felt herself shrivel up inside. She wished she hadn't put all that makeup on as the ladies of the court here were very natural the opposite to what Clotilde was used to back home.

"Welcome Princess to our Country, we hope that in the future you will be able to call it home as well."

The King stepped forward, he was tall with graying hair and his eyes crinkled up when he smiled. Clotilde bobbed a curtsy and smiled curtly. 

"Thank you for your warm welcome and hospitality."

Clotilde inwardly cringed at her thick and enunciated accent but she kept she kept her composure of grace and coolness.

The queen stepped forward, she was not as old as Clotildes own mother who was in her late 50's. Queen Azora looked to only have just reached middle age with not a grey hair on her head. Her eyes and mouth creased like her husbands when she genuinely smiled but this didn't take away from her natural beauty.

"May we introduce out son and your fiance, Prince Alexander Octavian Edward Novarian." 

The Queen said this with a flourish, she seemed proud of him.

The man himself stepped forward, towering over everyone but not intimidating Clotilde who bowed but looked him straight in the eye.

"Your Majesty."

She said.

Queen Azora began to go into a tangent about some obscure thing and Clotilde took the time to look over Prince Alexander as discreetly as she could. He had the dark hair of his mother but the facial structure of his father and he was extremely tall like both of his parents. He did not have the broad shoulders nor the regal presence of his father who was more traditionally handsome but his face was serious and he seemed wise beyond his years.

Prince Alexander turned his head to Clotilde, catching her staring. Instead of blushing and looking coy like a simpering maid, she snapped her head back to try and focus on what the King and Queen were discussing.

***

Dinner that evening was a grand affair with the whole court turning out to catch another glimpse of the new Princess. The dining room was raucus and loud as people drank and laughed gaily. The only person who did not seem to enjoy the event was Prince Alexander who sat next to Clotilde, quietly eating his dinner.

"Brother, why do you sulk so?"

Yelled the youngest son of the family, Prince Oliver. He was already on his third glass for the evening and quite drunk, he shouted his words a little louder than he should have. Prince Alexander pointed to his food and remained quiet, Oliver lost interest as did Clotilde who turned her attention to the conversation that the King and Queen were having.

""I knew we shouldn't have let Oliver drink until he was 20!"

Queen Azora fretted over her teenage son, watching in concern as the baby of the family guzzled the last remaining liquid in his goblet.

"Do not fret my dear, all men must learn to handle their drink. I believe it is better he does it here under our roof rather than his poor future wife's."

King Kalian rubbed his vexed wife's back but she did not listen to him.

"But hes only 16 and hes already and alcoholic!"

Clotilde laughed at the Queens statement causing everyone in the vicinity who were also eavesdropping to stare at her in perplexment, Azoras face went red with embarrassment.

"Oh I am sorry, did I do something wrong?"

She asked nervously, avoiding anyone's gaze. Instead of a lecture like she expected, the King and Queen began to laugh and soon Prince Oliver laughed along too.

"I envy you brother, you have caught a bride who is not only beautiful, but has a sense of humor!"

He began to laugh uncontrollably in a drunken stupor, all the while Prince Alexander stared down at his food in embarrassment, his face as red as Clotildes had been only moments before.