Chapter Seven

Sorry for taking so long to update guys, obviously it's been a very busy and stressful time in the world but I hope I can offer some comfort to you guys with a new chapter!

Clotilde did not realize that a part of the investigation would be the heightened level of security. As soon as she had been dressed that morning, two tall and buff men strode into her chambers and stood at the doorway. Clotilde frowned and turned to Anne.

"Who are they?"

Anne's eyes widened and she lightly smacked her forehead.

"Oh I'm so sorry your highness, I completely forgot! His highness has assigned guards to each member of the royal family and there will be more guards stationed around the palace in light of the Kings situation."

Clotilde nodded slowly and muttered; "Hmm" as she walked up to the guards and inspected them. "Please introduce yourselves."

The guard to the left, a tan and dark haired man bowed. "Sargent John Thomas at your service, m'lady."

Clotilde smiled and nodded and turned to the other guard, a light brown haired and stocky man, as her bowed and introduced himself. "Sargent Henry Robert, your highness."

"Well." Clotilde turned back to Anne and grinned. "I guess we shall be less lonely for the next few weeks."

Anne grinned too and she quickly adjusted her mistresses gown once more before the small party made their way to throne room.

~~~

The throne room was a buzz with activity as there was much to gossip about. King Kalian was still recovering in his chambers and his and the Queens thrones remained empty. After being introduced to the court, Clotilde took her seat next to her husband who was deep in conversation with one of the advisors. Some of the ladies who stood off to the side whispered among each other. Though Clotilde couldn't quite catch what they were saying, she began to feel insecure as they would giggle as they glanced in her direction. Finally the Advisor motioned to the court and began to go into a long tangent about the updates on security and the Kings health. 

"When was I going to learn about the new guards?" She furiously whispered to Alexander, making sure to keep her eyes on the advisor, as to not look rude and as if she wasn't listening.

"Your Ladies maid did not tell you?" He glanced in her direction with a confused expression. Clotilde looked straight in his eyes and raised her brows.

"She did, but forgive me for thinking that maybe my husband should be the one to inform me on his political decisions." She snapped her gaze back to the Advisor and pretended to listen, hoping Alexander would say something but instead he just sighed and focused his attention on the Advisor as well.

The advisor finished his speech and the court moved on, many going outside to join in the harvest activities in the garden. Clotilde wandered around, watching as people picked apples and danced to lively folk music. However jolly the scene was, Clotilde could not help but feel uneasy with the presence of more guards than usual everywhere she looked, she was reminded that she could be a target. Furthermore, when she tried to watch the festivities and join in, she was met with uncomfortable and cold stares. She understood the message, she was a foreigner and not yet one of them. 

Clotilde tried not to cry as she left to find solitude, she couldn't be seen as weak in front of people that were supposed to respect her. She flopped onto a bench, tucked into a corner, away from the prying eyes of the court, wrapped in the walls of a hedge maze. 

She sighed in relief, she could breath now that she was away and no longer suffocated. She watched a small bird hop around the bird bath, and she laughed to herself, but froze when she began to hear muffled voiced.

"What a useless creature she is!" The voices were just loud enough that Clotilde could understand, but she had to strain to be able to hear everything clearly.

"She has been here for over three months now, surely she could be pregnant already. At least in the first two months if they did not conceive right away!"

Clotilde felt her stomach begin to sink, her pulse quicken. She knew who they were talking about.

"I would not be surprised if she were barren!" One lady laughed and the other joined her.

Clotilde felt her eyes brim with tears.

"Yes, then maybe his highness could annul the marriage and find some well bred local lady. These foreigners pollute our court."

Clotilde could no longer stand it. She wandered through the maze, sobs threatening to choke out and reveal her hiding place as she walked and walked, the voices of the crowd drowning out, and the sky beginning to fade into orange. Somehow she made it out, and she ran all the way to her rooms, grateful that the halls were quiet so that no one but the servants could see her breakdown.

"Your highness, whatever is the matter!" Anne stopped making the bed as soon as Clotilde burst through the door and flung herself onto a sofa and sobbed.

"I-I- heard-" Clotilde could barely talk, salty tears were running everywhere and her chest heaved up and down as she cried. 

Anne motioned to the other maid who remained, making the bed. "Would you please fetch us some wine please." The girl nodded and left.

"Now we shall wait until you have calmed down and then you shall tell me what the matter is."

Clotilde nodded and wept into one of the cushions until there were no tears left.

"I heard some ladies talking about me, they said I was a useless foreigner and that Prince Alexander should be better off marrying a local lady! They said I was barren!" Clotilde could feel herself starting to cry again and tried to push it back down. Thankfully at that moment, the girl came in with the wine and Clotilde gladly drank when Anne prompted her.

"Well we know that is not at all true!" Anne comforted her mistress and pulled her into a hug.

"But it could be!" Clotilde cried. "For all I know I could be and I shall never know for my husband barely glances at me!"

"Well that is hardly your fault!" Anne scolded.

"What if he isn't attracted to me! Is that why he doesn't visit me? I am so ugly he cant bare to share a bed with me!"

Anne laughed. "Now you know that is not true! You are blessed with your mothers beauty and your fathers sweet nature, you could not be any more attractive to a young man!"

Clotilde laughed as Anne wiped the tears from her cheeks.

"Come now, you are tired. Let me get you ready for bed."